This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2143 / 52°12'51"N
Longitude: -0.3784 / 0°22'42"W
OS Eastings: 510884
OS Northings: 258580
OS Grid: TL108585
Mapcode National: GBR H2N.157
Mapcode Global: VHFPX.DL9W
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Denys
Listing Date: 13 July 1964
Last Amended: 18 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36412
Location: Colmworth, Bedford, MK44
Civil Parish: Colmworth
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Colmworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 15NW COLMWORTH CHURCH END, CHURCH ROAD
5/9 Parish Church of St Denys
13.7.64 (formerly listed as Parish
Church of Saint Dennis)
Parish church. Circa 1430, window tracery reworked C19. Chancel of
cobblestones, coursed freestone rubble elsewhere, all with ashlar dressinqs.
Chancel, N vestry, nave, S porch, W tower, all with embattled parapets.
Chancel: depressed 2-centred arched 5-light E window, flanked by buttresses.
One window to N wall, 2 to S wall, all pointed arched with 3-lights. N
doorway has 4-centred head and label. Priest's door to S wall. N vestry: 2-
light E window. 2 squints blocked by Dyer monument. Tall narrow chancel
arch. Nave: 3 windows each side, similar to chancel ones. Rood loft
staircase to NE with 3 doorways. Squint S of chancel arch. N doorway. Tower
arch similar to chancel one. S porch: intended to be vaulted, has 2
springers. W tower: 4 stages, diagonal buttresses, octagonal spire with
lucarnes. Cornice below parapet has shield to each side. W window similar to
those elsewhere. Interior: C15 octagonal font with shields and flowers.
Chancel has finely worked large alabaster figured monument, 1641, to Sir
William Dyer and family. Purbeck slab with inscribed copper plate, 1389 to
Alianora Braybrook in chancel S wall. Fraqments of C15 glass, including whole
angel, to chancel N window. Other qlass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, London
1893. Roofs restored, but nave retains C15 foliate bosses, carved braces and
figures, and angels in centre of each bay holding shields and emblems of the
Listing NGR: TL1088458580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings