History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Catherine Wheel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marshfield, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.462 / 51°27'43"N

Longitude: -2.3189 / 2°19'7"W

OS Eastings: 377942

OS Northings: 173713

OS Grid: ST779737

Mapcode National: GBR 0PL.8JZ

Mapcode Global: VH967.RJG3

Entry Name: The Catherine Wheel

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Last Amended: 10 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1114934

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34536

Location: Marshfield, South Gloucestershire, SN14

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Marshfield

Built-Up Area: Marshfield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Marshfield

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Marshfield

Listing Text

MARSHFIELD C.P. HIGH STREET (south side)
ST 7773
13/123 No. 39, (The Catherine Wheel)
(formerly listed as Catherine Wheel
17.9.52 Inn)
G.V.
II*

Burgess' house, now a public house. Circa 1680/90. Ashlar, painted on ground
floor; double Roman tiled roof (slate to rear) behind fine balustraded parapet
consisting of turned balusters and panelled pedestals; heavily moulded
modillioned cornice. 2 storeys on plinth and cellars. 7 bays with chamfered
end quoins and moulded string course over ground floor. 32-pane thick glazing
bar sash windows on ground floor, 24 on first, in bolection moulded surrounds
with moulded cills and plain aprons (2 on first floor are blocked). Central
6 panel door in bolection moulded surround and under finely carved shell hood on
consoles, projecting iron lamp bracket. Projecting cast iron sign and bracket
on the first floor. Large painted rubble, 2 storey and attic rear wing with four
2-light casement windows. Interior: moulded beams and fireplace in both ground
floor rooms; the left room is fully panelled with large raised panels and
bolection moulded surrounds, cupboards to sides of fireplace; central wide
passage. An excellent local example of provincial baroque.


Listing NGR: ST7794273713

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.