History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Toilet Block and Water Tower at South End of Charfield Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Charfield, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6279 / 51°37'40"N

Longitude: -2.3994 / 2°23'58"W

OS Eastings: 372446

OS Northings: 192195

OS Grid: ST724921

Mapcode National: GBR JZ.8R4T

Mapcode Global: VH95F.CBCX

Entry Name: Former Toilet Block and Water Tower at South End of Charfield Station

Listing Date: 5 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1114970

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34639

Location: Charfield, South Gloucestershire, GL12

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Charfield

Built-Up Area: Charfield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Charfield St John

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tortworth

Listing Text

ST 79 SW CHARFIELD STATION ROAD (west side)

2/18 Former Toilet Block and Water
Tower at south end of Charfield
G.V. Station

II

Toilet block, circa 1843-44; water tower, now used as offices, mid - late C19.
The toilet block is 15 yards south of the booking hall and waiting room (q.v.):
brick, slate roof with overhanging bracketted eaves and coped raised verges on
kneelers; single storey with 2 single-light casement windows in chamfered
surrounds. The water tower is immediately south of the former stationmaster's
house (q.v.): brick lower storey with two 2-light cross windows with ashlar
mullions and surrounds, central plank door; above is the iron water tank with
panelled and ribbed sides. The buildings at Charfield Station form the only
surviving intact group of buildings on the line - an important line which
completed the through route from Exeter to Newcastle in 1844. (Buchanan L.A.
and Buchanan R.A., Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology : Central South
England, 1980).


Listing NGR: ST7244692195

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.