This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5638 / 51°33'49"N
Longitude: -2.3389 / 2°20'20"W
OS Eastings: 376601
OS Northings: 185045
OS Grid: ST766850
Mapcode National: GBR 0N6.X20
Mapcode Global: VH95N.DYVK
Entry Name: Parish Church of St James the Elder
Listing Date: 3 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34694
Location: Horton, South Gloucestershire, BS37
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Horton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Horton St James the Elder
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 78 NE HORTON
5/70 Parish Church of St. James the
Parish Church (Anglican). C12; rebuilt C14, altered C15 and C16 and restored
in 1865. West tower; nave; north aisle; south porch; chancel. Ashlar and
coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roofs behind plain parapets.
West tower: Perpendicular style, of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses which end
in pilasters with pinnacles; embattled parapet. 3-light bell chamber windows
with stone louvres and cusped heads to the tracery; 3-light west window with
small embattled transoms to the tracery, all under a hood mould. Nave: two
3-light windows, as the west window but without the embattled transoms;
projection for rood stair. South porch: Perpendicular style, 2 storeys with
diagonal buttresses; polygonal stair turret surmounted by a spirelet at north
west corner; chamfered doorway and 2-light casement above. Chancel: much
restored; 2 bays with windows similar to the nave; priest's door; 5-light east
window similar to the west window. North aisle and north chapel: 3 windows
similar to west window; buttresses with off-sets; north door with chamfered
surround. Interior. South porch: ribbed tierceron-vault with Agnus Dei on
central boss; corner jamb shafts with carved capitals, minstrels to the north,
grotesque beasts to the south; moulded doorcase with 4-centred head, square hood
mould; image niche over; ogee headed stoup. Nave: 3 bay C14 arcade,
cylindrical piers with octagonal caps; chamfered arches, the respond of the west
arch rests on a grotesque corbel; Perpendicular tower arch with concave moulding;
Perpendicular chancel arch and arches to north chapel, cylindrical shafts; wagon
roofs. Remains of ashlar rood stair with 4-centre doorways, one of which leads
to an enriched Jacobean pulpit on a C15 panelled, vase-shaped base. Font: C12,
recut in C17; panelled octagonal bowl on circular base, C17 cover. In the
chancel is a pillar piscina with a carved capital and an octagonal shaft.
Glass: reassembled mediaeval fragments in the east window of the north chapel.
Monuments. North chapel: Ann Austin, died 1731, grey and white marble,
baroque tablet with volutes; William Paston, died c.1673, baroque, grey and
white marbles, segmental pediment, winged cherubic heads, gadrooned base;
William Paston, died 1769, by James Paty of Bristol, coloured and white marbles,
gadrooned sarcophagus, heraldry and inscribed plinth. John Paston, died 1737,
grey and white marble, flat obelisk inscribed panel with gadrooned base,
heraldry. Nave: Baron de Tuyll, 1913, by W.C.H. King, Art Nouveau plaque,
female figures to sides of anurn. Hatchment in tower. (Verey D, The Buildings
of England : Gloucestershire ; The Cotswolds, 1970).
Listing NGR: ST7660185045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings