History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norton-Radstock, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2865 / 51°17'11"N

Longitude: -2.4856 / 2°29'8"W

OS Eastings: 366232

OS Northings: 154266

OS Grid: ST662542

Mapcode National: GBR JW.Z7GB

Mapcode Global: VH89G.VXVM

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 19 May 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 31933

Location: Norton-Radstock, Bath and North East Somerset, BA3

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Midsomer Norton

Built-Up Area: Midsomer Norton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Midsomer Norton

Listing Text

1.
5120

CHURCH SQUARE
Midsomer-Norton
No 19 (The Priory)

ST 6654 4/1 19.5.50
II*
2.
Early-mid C17. Rubble with rusticated ashlar quoins, slate roof with coped
verges and ashlar chimneys. Two storeys. Three windows, 2 light casements
with moulded wooden mullions on 1st floor. Two windows, 3 light stone mullion
casements on ground floor. All windows have rectangular drip-moulds. Square
headed doorway with architrave surround and triple keystone, apparently early
C18, tall large semi-circular hollow stone hood on cut stone brackets. Eight
panel door, upper 4 glazed. Later 2 storey wing to left, one window. Projecting
early C19 brick walls with ramped stone coping, and arched entrance to right
hand part and niches. To rear a gabled stair turret.
Interior: hall has dado height Gothick panelling, formerly part of the galleries
in Parish Church of St John The Baptist (q.v); arched door to stairs. Ground
floor east room, restored Tudor arch fireplace with salt cupboard, cross beamed
ceiling. Ground floor west room, deep and wide fireplace formerly with traces
of running scroll painting. Two of the doors to west side on ground floor
are C17 plank doors.
This house has been considerably adapted. In 1712 it was sold by Christ Church,
Oxford: the front probably dates from then. There are considerable traces
of an older dwelling incorporated, partly timber-framed. One internal wall
gives the perch measure (now covered). To rear, above the modernised kitchen,
is a former schoolroom.


Listing NGR: ST6623254266

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.