This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.29 / 51°17'24"N
Longitude: -2.4479 / 2°26'52"W
OS Eastings: 368865
OS Northings: 154638
OS Grid: ST688546
Mapcode National: GBR JX.YYTQ
Mapcode Global: VH89H.JT8Y
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 19 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 31982
Location: Norton-Radstock, Bath and North East Somerset, BA3
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Radstock
Built-Up Area: Radstock
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
5120 THE STREET
Parish Church of
ST 6854 5/29 19.5.50
C15 west tower and late mediaeval south wall and porch (possibly early C15).
Rest rebuilt 1879 in Geometric style, architect William Willcox of Bath. Five
bay nave with north aisle, 3 bay chancel with vestry to north. Coursed limestone
rubble with weathered buttresses. Slate roof with polychromatic bands. The
west tower is of 3 low stages, upper, crenellated, stage possibly a later addition;
outer diagonal buttresses; angled stair turret to north; cornice and corner
gargoyles; stepped and moulded plinth; west door replaced by window; Decorated
style 2 light cusped belfry windows.
South nave windows: 3 square headed Perpendicular style replacing original
windows and 2 poor geometric type (see also on north side). South porch has
C19 gable but retains late C15 doorway with canopied niche over (wild-man corbel),
barrel vault inside with quatrefoils and bosses with animals and faces.
Vestry has intricate rose window and angled chimney.
Interior: south wall retains mediaeval features, eg rood loft stair (narrow
opening) and cusped piscina. Lop-sided Norman font, a cylinder with cable-moulding.
Highly ornamental pulpit of 1888, octagonal on column with mosaics, marble
and a statue of St. Nicholas. Heavily carved oak parclose screen in Perpendicular
style to chancel arch. Stone carved 5 bay reredos of circa 1874. Good Gothick
organ in archway to north of chancel. Important fragments at west end: Roman
inscription and an early C15 rood with Virgin on reverse and churchyard cross-shaft.
Graveyard entered from north-east by 2 gate piers with blind tracery panels.
Two lightly carved early C19 head stones to right of porch (one on wall).
Two chest tombs, the one nearest the church mid-C18 with carved piers; the
other, close to south porch, to William Lansdown, (died 1793) with oval inscription
panel, angel busts and cabriole corner piers.
Listing NGR: ST6886554638
Other nearby listed buildings