History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Ghost

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norton-Radstock, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2863 / 51°17'10"N

Longitude: -2.4837 / 2°29'1"W

OS Eastings: 366365

OS Northings: 154234

OS Grid: ST663542

Mapcode National: GBR JW.Z7YS

Mapcode Global: VH89G.WXVV

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Ghost

Listing Date: 19 May 1950

Last Amended: 21 December 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 31943

Location: Norton-Radstock, Bath and North East Somerset, BA3

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Midsomer Norton

Built-Up Area: Midsomer Norton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Midsomer Norton

Listing Text

1.
5120

HIGH STREET
(north side)
Midsomer Norton
Church of the Holy Ghost
(formerly listed as
Roman Catholic Church)

ST 6654 4/6 19.5.50
II* GV
2.
Roman Catholic. Probably C15. Formerly a tithe barn; patched, restored and
converted by Giles Gilbert Scott to include some modern Gothic windows and
doorways, but the fabric and several features are original. Red sandstone
rubble with limestone dressings and buttresses. Old pantile roof with coped
verges. Six bays divided by 2-stage weathered buttresses. Third bay from
left has projecting gabled porch with Grangers' room over and wide 3-centred
elliptical archway (rebuilt) with chamfered moulding. Window above is 2 light
Perpendicular with square head, single transoms, original head tracery and
replaced rectangular drip-mould. 'Front elevation of porch is faced with limestone
ashlar. Right-hand side wall has pointed arch chamfered doorway and exterior
wooden steps (modern) and 4-centred arch doorway leading to room over. The
wide inner doorway of porch has been blocked and pierced by modern Gothic doorway
with ogee hood mould. Original iron door staples remain. Corresponding doorway
in rear elevation has also been blocked and shows original oak lintel and iron
door staples. Between each buttress is single loop window and there are 3
similar loops in left-hand end gable. Right-hand end gable has 2 modern square
head Perpendicular windows and 3 buttresses. Stone cross finials on end gables
and porch gable. Interior has open timber roof with arch braces and collar
beams, 2 purlins, curved wind-braces between. Loop windows have wide internal
splays.
Grangers' room has an upper cruck truss and enriched wall plates (concealed).
Gilt tabernacle of 1794 from Bavarian Embassy Chapel, Warwick Street, Soho.
For further details see Church Guide Book.


Listing NGR: ST6636554234

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.