This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3994 / 51°23'57"N
Longitude: -2.3049 / 2°18'17"W
OS Eastings: 378885
OS Northings: 166755
OS Grid: ST788667
Mapcode National: GBR 0QD.63B
Mapcode Global: VH96N.03B0
Entry Name: Eagle House and the Old Maltings
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32206
Location: Bathford, Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Bathford
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 04/06/2018
CHURCH STREET (North-west side)
No. 23 (Eagle House) and The Old Maltings
(Formerly listed as No. 23 (Eagle House))
House. Mid C18, possibly by John Wood the Elder. Ashlar; slate roof behind parapet, cornice.
Two storeys, basement and attics in modern dormers. Entrance (south-east) elevation: seven bays, centre three advanced and capped by pediment; plus an extra bay in later wing to right. Two-three-two glazing bar sashes in moulded architraves, with segmental heads and keystones on ground floor (some blocked); central window on first floor in tripartite with large semi-circular overlight which breaks through the cornice into the pediment. Central panelled door in doorcase with Ionic pilasters and pediment.
Garden (north-west) elevation: seven bays, centre three in two storey canted bay. Two-three-two windows, glazing bar sashes on first floor, C19 large pane sashes on ground floor, all in moulded architraves; ground floor centre bar venetian window with Ionic pilasters and an apron with an attached baluster below, flanking windows have pediments; plain venetian style window on first floor. Bay has modillioned cornice, central pediment with decorative cartouche surrounding arms in tympanum and eagle finial with spread wings on apex. Balustraded parapet, solid to centre bay. Flanking single storey ashlar garden walls with rusticated doorways.
Interior: Some C18 and C19 plasterwork; panelled doors; large decorative marble fireplace in drawing room; formerly cantilever staircase. Wing projecting on entrance elevation is also included: hipped slate roof; two storeys; four glazing bar sash windows and evidence of blocked vehicle entry. Modern door.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Eagle House was the home of Colonel Linley Blathwayt, his wife Emily and their daughter Mary. All were strong supporters of women’s suffrage. Mary and her mother joined the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the militant suffrage society formed in Manchester in 1903, and became close to Annie Kenney, the WSPU’s Bristol organiser. Kenney became a regular visitor to Eagle House where she would retreat when political campaigning had exhausted her. Eagle House became a popular site for suffragettes who would come to enjoy the Blathwayt’s hospitality and the use of the Linley’s car. Some used it as a convenient base for starting propaganda work in the south west, whereas others came to recover their health after periods in prison. Leading suffragettes including Emmeline and Christabel Pankhurst, Elsie Howey, Charlotte Marsh and Emmeline Pethick Lawrence, all spent time at Eagle House, and in the evenings there was often singing and games. Visitors were encouraged to plant trees in part of the grounds that the family called ‘Annie’s Arboretum’. Blathwayt, a keen amateur photographer, recorded each tree planting. Emily Blathwayt resigned from the WSPU in 1909, dismayed by the Union’s escalating violence. She continued to welcome militant women to Eagle House, although visits slowed when Annie Kenney moved back to work in London in 1912. Mary resigned from the Union in 1913, possibly due to a local suffragette arson attack. The arboretum was demolished in the late 1960s but one tree, an Austrian pine planted by Wimbledon suffragette Rose Larmatine Yates, survives.
This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.
Listing NGR: ST7888566755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings