This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4008 / 51°24'2"N
Longitude: -2.5277 / 2°31'39"W
OS Eastings: 363386
OS Northings: 166990
OS Grid: ST633669
Mapcode National: GBR JT.QWDV
Mapcode Global: VH892.42K0
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32470
Location: Compton Dando, Bath and North East Somerset, BS31
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Compton Dando
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 66 NW COMPTON DANDO QUEEN CHARLTON
2/52 Manor House
Manor house. C16, altered and extended early - mid C18 and c.1857. In
3 parts with the 2 older sections at the left (north). At the left is a
3 bay section of rubble and coursed square freestone with a hipped pantile roof
behind a tall brick parapet ornamented with pineapple finials. 2 storeys and
attics. Three 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows, in moulded architraves
on ground floor; the southern bay is set back and has a 2-light chamfered
mullion window on the first floor. The centre section is rendered with a
pantiled roof behind a moulded parapet with gadrooned urn finials. 2 storeys.
3 bays: 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves.
Central panelled and glazed door under a plain arcaded overlight and in a
doorcase with pilasters and an open segmental pediment with a central urn.
the C19 right wing is rubble with freestone dressings and a mansard pantiled
roof. Single storey and attics in 5 modern dormers. Four 2-light cross
windows on ground floor with pointed heads to the glazing bars and in moulded
architraves. Irregular rear elevation of squared freestone. 2 storeys with
attics in steep gables which have greyhound finials. 4 bays, 18-pane thick
glazing bar sash windows under dripmoulds. Door off-centre to left.
Fragments of mediaeval carving set in the walls. 3 bay section at right with
southern part recessed; eagle and pineapple finials on parapet; thick glazing
bar sash windows and large sashes in brick surrounds. Interior. Hall in the
centre is C16 with a hollow and ogee moulded freestone fireplace with a
segmental head; above is an overmantel of re-assembled carving with birds,
vines, wheat ears, trumpet and a crook with large side volutes (said to be from
a Bristol house); moulded beams with thin moulded ribs in a diamond pattern
and bulbous pendants in the spaces. Dining room and library have heraldic
glass; heraldic cornice, dated 1857, to library - Morning room (to centre
rear) has fielded panelling and a ceiling similar to the hall but with Tudor
roses at the interstices and without pendants. Open well stair with panelled
dado and turned balusters.
Listing NGR: ST6338666990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings