History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Goadby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5827 / 52°34'57"N

Longitude: -0.8942 / 0°53'38"W

OS Eastings: 475024

OS Northings: 298892

OS Grid: SP750988

Mapcode National: GBR BR6.2RD

Mapcode Global: WHFKZ.7BGW

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 29 December 1966

Last Amended: 13 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190801

Location: Goadby, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Goadby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Billesdon cum Goadby and Rolleston

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Hallaton

Listing Text

SP 79 NE GOADBY THE STREET (East Side)

4/26 Church of St. John the Baptist
(Previously listed as Church of
29.12.66 St Denys)

GV II*


Parish Church, former Chapel. Probably C13 though restored in 1848 and 1860.
Coursed ironstone rubble with brick transepts, Welsh slate roof. Single celled
with bell turret above buttressed west wall. Two chamfered lancets to south,
and mediaeval gabled south porch restored in C19 with new archway. Small King
post roof. C17 door with panel inscribed 'William Collinson gave this 1618'.
Plain tympanum above. Early C19 brick transept with coped gables with stone
kneelers, the south was reconstructed in 1860 and has intersecting traceried
window. Victorian Decorated 2-light window to north transept. Buttressed chancel
with Perpendicular south window and Decorated east window of 3-lights, the
tracery is Victorian but the hood mould and corbel heads may be C14. Sill
band below and tomb stones built into the wall, two of which are fine slate
memorials of 1765 and 1760. Single wide lancet with hood mould in north wall
of nave. Interior of Church is very open, with no division between nave and
chancel. Lancet windows are all in deep splays. Plain boarded roof. Although
the transepts are C19, the arches leading to them seem mediaeval, a roll moulded
arch springing from flat abaci. Scissor braced roofs in transepts. South
transept contains a plain octagonal font. Simply shaped piscina in chancel.


Listing NGR: SP7502498892

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.