This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8125 / 54°48'44"N
Longitude: -1.7397 / 1°44'22"W
OS Eastings: 416827
OS Northings: 546433
OS Grid: NZ168464
Mapcode National: GBR JD9S.5N
Mapcode Global: WHC4G.79TJ
Entry Name: New Field House
Listing Date: 17 January 1967
Last Amended: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350590
Location: Lanchester, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Lanchester
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Lanchester and Burnhope
Church of England Diocese: Durham
LANCHESTER FORD ROAD
NZ 14 NE (East side)
6/83 New Field House
17/1/67 (formerly listed as
Greenwell Ford including
Formerly Greenwell Ford. House, part altered as private Roman Catholic chapel;
now 3 flats. Early C19. Chapel alteration for Matthew Kearney c.1852; ceased
chapel use c.1896. Sandstone ashlar with chamfered quoins; concrete tiled roof.
L-plan. 2 storeys, 3 and 6 bays. Main house 6 bays. 6-panel door and fanlight
with radiating glazing bars in Tuscan surround with prominent open pediment
containing coat of arms; similar door and fanlight in first bay in keyed round-
Slightly set-back 3-bay chapel has 6-panel door and plain fanlight in keyed
round-headed surround with Tuscan pilasters supporting acanthus-patterned
entablature. All windows sashes with glazing bars and projecting stone sills,
in plain reveals; plain narrow sash to right of right door, and mirror glass
in window to right of that; c.1900 canted bay inserted at right end. Gutter
cornice and blocking course. Low-pitched roof, hipped at right, has 4 panelled
ridge chimneys with plinths and cornices, and left gabled bellcote. C20 drainage
pipes in bays flanking main door.
Right return 5 bays, with central door, flanked by pilasters with ball finials
under small pediment; formerly had Tuscan porch, now removed. Some glazing
bars removed on this elevation. Left return gable has large first-floor round-
headed window with radiating glazing bars in keyed stone surround with impost
mouldings; plain stone surround to blocked door at right on ground floor.
C20 rear additions not of interest.
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: NZ1682746433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings