History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Our Lady's Convent and School Adjoining

A Grade II Listed Building in Charnwood, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7659 / 52°45'57"N

Longitude: -1.2069 / 1°12'24"W

OS Eastings: 453610

OS Northings: 318989

OS Grid: SK536189

Mapcode National: GBR 8KT.MNW

Mapcode Global: WHDHQ.FRJ0

Entry Name: Our Lady's Convent and School Adjoining

Listing Date: 5 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189446

Location: Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE11

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Town: Charnwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Loughborough Southfields

Built-Up Area: Loughborough

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Loughborough Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Loughborough

Listing Text

SK 51 NW
5/75


PARK ROAD
(north side)
Our Lady's Convent and
School adjoining


II


Convent, with chapel, priest's house and school. Begun 1850, and built slowly
during the next few decades (Chapel 1863-4,School altered 1889, priest's house late
C19). By Charles Hansom. Red brick with whitened headers and stone dressings,
Swithland slate roofs (school has plain tile roof) with white brick crosses in the
gable ends. Gothic Revival. Convent buildings round cloister porch, with chapel to
west and priest's house and school to south. The school is linked to the convent by
a range built 1855 to form 3 sides of a quadrangle. Two-storeys and attic. East
facade of convent 7 window range. Four-centred doorway to left. Two dormers and
2 red brick chimney stacks in slope of roof, the left-hand one with 2 lancets.
Fenestration mostly pairs of cusped lancets, some with transoms, with casement
windows and glazing bars, beneath segmental brick relieving arches. Apsidal chapel
with side chapels, lit by "Geometrical" traceried Windows (ritual north windows
C20), has waggon roof carried on corbels and west gallery. Reredos by Theodore
Phyffers 1873. School re-windowed in keeping with convent and 2-storey porch and
verandah added 1889. Mortuary chapel by Charles Hansom's son, and infant's school
in Italianate style in grounds. House of Rosminian sisters, founded by Mary Agnes
Amherst. C20 additions to school not of special architectural interest.


Listing NGR: SK5361018989

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.