This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9246 / 53°55'28"N
Longitude: -1.3297 / 1°19'46"W
OS Eastings: 444114
OS Northings: 447819
OS Grid: SE441478
Mapcode National: GBR MR41.XW
Mapcode Global: WHDB1.KM05
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115540
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342055
Location: Walton, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Walton
Built-Up Area: Thorp Arch
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe
Church of England Diocese: York
SE44NW WALTON MAIN STREET
LS23 (north side)
2/132 Church of St. Peter
Church. C12 origin; mostly mid C14; restored 1890-91 by W. M. Fawcett.
Coursed, squared magnesian limestone, graduated green slate roofs. West
tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, narrower 2-bay chancel with north vestry.
Tower: chamfered plinth and offsets; no buttresses. West side has small
lancet window beneath square-headed, chamfered window; offset below belfry
stage having south clock and square-headed, 2-light openings in double-
chamfered surrounds. Corbel table and cornice below Perpendicular embattled
parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth; offset
buttresses at each end and another with mass dial between square-headed
windows of 2 ogee lights beneath hoodmould with old head-carved stops. Later
porch to left has side buttresses flanking a segmental arch; south doorway
within has quadrant-moulded arch with hoodmould; stone slate roof. Nave has
C19 ashlar gable copings with east cross. On north side is a blocked,
shouldered-lintelled doorway and to left is a buttress flanked by windows as
south but without hoodmoulds. Chancel: blocked priests' door with shouldered
lintel; small window on left with similar head; large 3-light window to right
with reticulated tracery beneath pointed arch and old hoodmould with head-
carved stops. Offset buttresses flank a double-chamfered, pointed, 5-light
east window having renewed sandstone mullions, reticulated tracery and
hoodmould. Gable, rebuilt 1890-1, has ashlar copings and cross. North
vestry of 1890-1: shouldered lintels to windows and north door.
Interior: Cl2 doorway into tower has chamfered impost to plain round arch.
Tall chamfered arch over south door. Chancel: moulded impost to double-
chamfered, pointed chancel arch; squint on north side. Tomb recess in north
wall of chancel with cusped, crocketed ogee canopy and pinnacle. Small,
moulded octagonal stone font, C14. Pulpit: C17 restored c1890; wooden with
nulled frieze and Gothic Revival panels. Painted Royal Coat of Arms on west
all with initials 'G.R.', 3 bells of 1500-1520 (not inspected), Monuments:
within the chancel recess is a C14 effigy of a knight with hands clasped in
prayer, his feet on a lion and his head on a helm. Above is a wall monument
to Nicholas Fairfax (d.1703): winged cherub beneath inscribed panel flanked
by drops and with enriched segmental pediment crowned by shield of arms.
H. Speight,Lower Wharfedale, 1902, pp. 391-396.
Listing NGR: SE4411447819
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings