This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5319 / 54°31'54"N
Longitude: -1.6526 / 1°39'9"W
OS Eastings: 422578
OS Northings: 515234
OS Grid: NZ225152
Mapcode National: GBR JJX1.06
Mapcode Global: WHC5V.LC84
Entry Name: Church of St Edwin
Listing Date: 20 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110844
Location: High Coniscliffe, Darlington, DL2
Civil Parish: High Coniscliffe
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Coniscliffe
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 2215 HIGH CONISCLIFFE THE GREEN
(South side, off)
18/122 Church of St. Edwin
Parish church. Circa 1170 west end of nave and western part of south nave wall;
early-mid C13 nave, chancel and tower; c14 tower parapet and spire; C15 vestry;
c.1860 porch rebuilt in 1964. Much rebuilding and refenestration in 1844 and
during later C19. Coursed rubble; some rebuilt sections in snecked sandstone;
green slate roofs. West tower with spire; nave with north aisle and north porch;
chancel with north vestry.
4-stage tower with loops and 2-light pointed bell openings. Embattled parapet,
on corbel table, with corner pinnacles. Thin octagonal stone spire.
Largely-rebuilt nave, north aisle and chancel; long and low proportions. Mid
C19 openings except where stated. 5-bay nave. Aisle has 4 lancets and gabled
porch at west. 4 restored square clerestory windows with trefoiled heads under
hoodmoulds. 2-order round-arched door within porch (moved from south side
c.1870) has beakhead and moulded capitals, shafts missing ; carved relief of
Agnus Dei above. South wall: narrow original window at west; 4 lancets to
east; east section of wall breaks forward, possibly indicating an earlier aisle.
Chancel: original lancet on north wall; lancets and Priest's door on south;
chamfered plinth, sill band and 3 stepped lancets on east end. Low-pitched
roofs hidden by parapet.
2-storey vestry: 2-light mullioned window and loop, with old iron grille, on
east; projecting embattled parapet.
Plastered interior. Shouldered tower doorway; medieval ladder stair. Grave
slab with interlace used as lintel in third stage of tower. North arcade of 5
pointed, double-chamfered arches on squat circular piers and keeled responds
with moulded octagonal capitals and bases; hoodmould with broach stops. Pointed
chancel arch, with 2 chamfered and moulded orders and nailhead hoodmould, on
keeled responds with foliage capitals. Round-arched chamfered doorway to vestry
with chamfered fireplace and aumbry.
Fitting and monuments: C13 font; aedicular wall monument to Sir Francis Bowes
and family 1684 on north chancel wall; some C17 choir stalls with poppyheads
and similar reading desk; 1973 south window by L.C. Evetts. Several C16 and C17
memorial floor slabs, one with brass.
(Rev. J.F. Hodgson, "Coniscliffe Church", Transactions of the Architectural and
Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, Volume I, 1868-70).
Listing NGR: NZ2257815234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings