This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2525 / 53°15'9"N
Longitude: -3.0114 / 3°0'40"W
OS Eastings: 332618
OS Northings: 373314
OS Grid: SJ326733
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZDT.VR
Mapcode Global: WH87Z.QH6W
Entry Name: Puddington Old Hall, Priests House and Priests House Flat
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 10 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55658
Location: Puddington, Cheshire West and Chester, CH64
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Puddington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Burton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 37 SW PUDDINGTON C.P. THE VILLAGE
3/15 Puddington Old Hall,
Priest's House and
Priest's House Flat,
(formerly listed as
Puddington Old Hall).
Formerly moated manor house, now 2 houses and a flat: two wings late
C15 and one wing early C16 for the Massey family. Rewalling of early
C18 and some additions dated 1909. Timber framed, outer walls are
brick clad, and roughcast. Welsh slate roof with stone ridge, mixture
of lateral and ridge brick chimneys. House on 3 sides of courtyard.
2 storey and attics. Outer facades have brick band at 1st floor and a
mixture of casements with glazing bars. 4 doorways of which the one
in north-east corner has porch dated 1909. Entry under wooden lintel
into courtyard through west range. North range has 2-storey 3-bay
south front. Eaves project and are supported on wooden posts from a
narrow gallery at 1st floor, itself supported on posts. Behind the
wall is close-studded with heavy arch braces. The ground storey has 2
original casements with wood mullions and shaped wooden sills, and a
blocked basket arched doorway and a rectangular frame to a board door.
Above is a blocked 3-light wood mullioned window and copies of the
wooden casements. East front of west range has close-studding with
middle rail and weaker arch bracing surviving in upper storey. South
range is now hidden by 2-storey late C19 addition.
Interior: Puddington Old Hall: main range has a line of rooms
reached from a corridor. Some heavy ceiling beams exposed but most
fittings including staircase of late C19/early C20. Upstairs are a
mixture of C17 6-panelled doors, 3-board doors and panelled pine doors
with raised fields. Evidence of close-studding of this range visible
Priest's House Flat: has large blocked fireplace but chamfered and
stopped bracket of bressumer visible. Double chamfered and stopped
beam by staircase. Upstairs are 3 early trusses: one has tiebeam and
collar with open vertical studs, one has an arch-braced collar, and
one has a cambered tiebeam, formerly arch-braced and probably carrying
a king or crown-post. Suggests the north-west corner had a 3-bay room
open to the roof or that it was a solar.
Priest's House: not inspected.
Saint John Plessington (c1637-1679), tutor to the Massey children and
underground missionary Catholic priest was siezed at this house
following the Popish Plot. He was hung at Chester Castle and his
quartered body was returned to be displayed at the Old Hall before the
family managed to have it buried at Burton.
D H Farmer The Oxford Dictionary of Saints Oxford 1978.
Listing NGR: SJ3261873314
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings