History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swinford Manor School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hothfield, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1587 / 51°9'31"N

Longitude: 0.8233 / 0°49'23"E

OS Eastings: 597515

OS Northings: 143725

OS Grid: TQ975437

Mapcode National: GBR RWM.BY1

Mapcode Global: VHKKM.742L

Entry Name: Swinford Manor School

Listing Date: 10 October 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 180994

Location: Hothfield, Ashford, Kent, TN23

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Hothfield

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Hothfield

Listing Text

1.
5272 HOTHFIELD SWINFORD
Swinford Manor School
TQ 94 SE 15/13
II*
2.
The centre portion is a late C15 to early C16 Wealden hall-house of 2 bays,
which was a Dower House of Godinton. Timber-framed, refaced with red brick
on the ground floor and tile-hung above. The 1st floor of its end window bays
originally oversailed but has been underbuilt. The eaves between overhang
on massive curved braces and a central bracket. Steeply-pitched hipped tiled
roof with 3 gabled dormers. Casement windows. C19 porch with shaped Dutch
gable containing a cartouche of the Toke family, formerly of Godinton. The
interior contains a moulded beam at the solar end of the hall and dragon beam.
At the south end is a portion added in 1884 and at the north end a portion
added in 1901. The east front also dates from the C19. This is faced with
ashlar with 5 shaped Dutch gables; the window bay of the north gable projecting,
of the south one deeply recessed and of the centre one projecting with a porch
on the ground floor, 7 windows.
Alfred Austin (1835-1913), who was Poet Laureate from 1896-1913, rented the
house from the Toke family and occupied it from 1867 until his death on the
2nd June 1913. Several of his works refer to the house, particularly the prose
work "The Garden that I Love" published in 1894.


Listing NGR: TQ9759643680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.