This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9794 / 54°58'45"N
Longitude: -1.613 / 1°36'46"W
OS Eastings: 424864
OS Northings: 565040
OS Grid: NZ248650
Mapcode National: GBR SPB.QM
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.634L
Entry Name: Claremont Buildings
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304531
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2465 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ELDON PLACE
14/220 Claremont Buildings
Shops and offices, now University Chaplaincy. Dated 1896 by W. Hope for Fairless
Harrison, tanner; 1905 additions. Steel frame and sandstone ashlar; graduated
slate roof with copper dome to turret. 3 storeys and attic, 6 irregular bays.
Pilasters, Doric Order on ground floor and Composite on first, define 4 right bays
with shop windows on ground floor and similar windows on first. 2 left bays have
office entrance at right under segmental canopy; altered ground floor to these and
to third bay. Sash windows elsewhere, those on second floor grouped, in panelled
pilasters under segmental pediments. Right corner entrance to shop under corbelled
turret. Gabled dormers over 2 left bays and 3 right, linked by pierced parapet,
have raised shaped pediments and ball finials. Tall ashlar chimneys.
Listing NGR: NZ2486465040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings