This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2388 / 53°14'19"N
Longitude: -2.9033 / 2°54'11"W
OS Eastings: 339808
OS Northings: 371693
OS Grid: SJ398716
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z5Z.7P
Mapcode Global: WH881.CVPD
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 1 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55385
Location: Backford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Backford
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Backford St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 37SE BACKFORD C.P. CHURCH LANE (NORTH SIDE)
Church of St Oswald
Church. Chancel, C14th, tower C15th, nave rebuilt 1728-31, and remodelled
1877-9 by Ewan Christian. Sandstone, graded slate roof. West tower, 3
bay nave, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular buttressed tower has chamfered
plinth, rebuilt embattled parapet with crocketted finial. 3-light traceried
bell openings. Some narrow slit openings. West front has restored 3-light
window over doorway which has four-centred arched head. Both have hood
moulds with animal and human figure stops. Stone bands have shields and
figure heads. Figure gargoyles below parapet. Nave has three, 2-light
traceried windows and south porch. Chancel: East window has intersecting
tracery. N window has Y-tracery. South wall has C14th doorway and two,
3-light Perpendicular windows in deep recesses. Clasping buttresses.
Stone cross at east end. Interior. Nave arcades have cylindrical piers
supporting pointed arches. Tall pointed arch beneath tower. Wall paintings
by E Frampton. E window possibly by Wailes. Six heraldic tablets painted
on wood, probably by Randle Holmes, dating 1624-1683 to Margel and Birkened
families. Monuments: Samuel Griffiths (1796) by E. Spencer. Tablet, urn
and obelisk for Baskerville Glegg (1843) by Sanders. C17th altar (now
in vestry) has twisted legs and acorn ends similar to two sanctuary chairs.
3 oak chests, two dated 1636 and 1702. Stone tympanum, formerly over
porch, inscribed: This church was built AD 1728 Robt Denson Vicar, now
leaning against S. wall of tower in churchyard.
Pevsner & Hubbard. Richards R., Old Cheshire Churches Morten 1973.
Listing NGR: SJ3980871693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings