History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

44-48, Cloth Market

A Grade II Listed Building in Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9712 / 54°58'16"N

Longitude: -1.613 / 1°36'46"W

OS Eastings: 424874

OS Northings: 564129

OS Grid: NZ248641

Mapcode National: GBR SPB.TK

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.695W

Entry Name: 44-48, Cloth Market

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115737

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304505

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text

NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLOTH MARKET
(east side)

20/197 Nos. 44-48 consecutive

G.V. II


Shop and restaurant, now public house and offices. 1869 by R. Fairbairn for
Pumphrey and Carrick Watson. Grey brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate
roof with cast iron cresting. 3 storeys and attics; 5 bays. Ground floor original
elaborate wood shop front with colonettes, brackets and mouldings. Windows on
upper floors have chamfered jambs; shouldered lintels on first floor; segmental
lintels on second except in slightly-projecting centre bay which has 4 arcaded
round-headed windows. Large bracketed cornices above first floor windows;
bracketed sills and label moulds to those on second floor. Prominent eaves
cornice, bracketed over central bay. Roof has 5 round-headed dormers; Mansard
roof except for centre bay which has tall steeply-pitched hipped roof. Cast iron
crestings. Interior: staircase and first floor coffee rooms 1897 by Oliver and
Leeson in a distinctive version ofthe Arts and Crafts style. Slatted seats with
brass rails holding parcel racks above. Tapered pilasters frame doors. Fretwork
Moorish-style pendants in coffee rooms partly damaged at time of survey, as was
fretwork above door between rooms with inserted door of c. 1983. First floor
redecoration of the Oak Room 1914.


Listing NGR: NZ2487464128

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.