History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbold Verdon, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.63 / 52°37'48"N

Longitude: -1.3464 / 1°20'47"W

OS Eastings: 444333

OS Northings: 303786

OS Grid: SK443037

Mapcode National: GBR 7L1.2DM

Mapcode Global: WHDJF.9532

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 7 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115770

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188546

Location: Newbold Verdon, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Newbold Verdon

Built-Up Area: Newbold Verdon

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Newbold de Verdun

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Newbold Verdon

Listing Text

NEWBOLD VERDON MAIN STREET
SK 40 SW
(North side)
5/35 Church of St. James
7.11.66

G.V. II

Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, 1899 rebuilding by H.C.Goddard of Leicester
in a Gothic style, Tower heightened and spire added in 1960, by
L.G.D.Ogden. Randomly coursed Mount Sorrel granite, sandstone ashlar
dressings, shingled spire and plain tiled roofs. Western tower, nave, north
aisle and chapel, chancel, south porch and vestry. Tower with broach
spire, chamfered offset to upper stage, the lower part may be of C12 date.
The upper stage has plain 3 light opening to 3 sides, the spire has a
raking 2 light dormer window to each main direction. In the north aisle is
a reused 3 light stepped C13 lancet set within a round arch externally. In
the north chapel east wall is a reused C15 3 light traceried window thought
to be the former east window of the medieval church. All other fenestration
dates from the 1899 rebuilding and comprises 2 light windows with ogee
heads to the lights and flat headed stone surrounds to the aisle and
pointed stone surrounds to the nave. The chancel east window is of 5 lights
in a Perpendicular style. The south vestry off the chancel and south porch
are both separately gabled and have pointed C19 doorways. Interior. The
nave north arcade is of 5 bays with octagonal piers and arches having wave
mouldings decorated with fleurons. C19 pointed and moulded chancel arch.
Fittings: Font has plain octagonal bowl, possibly C13. All other fittings
are C19 or later.


Listing NGR: SK4433303786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.