History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Tachbrook, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2488 / 52°14'55"N

Longitude: -1.5388 / 1°32'19"W

OS Eastings: 431583

OS Northings: 261282

OS Grid: SP315612

Mapcode National: GBR 6NX.V3R

Mapcode Global: VHBXQ.8QVX

Entry Name: The Old Manor House

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115783

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307985

Location: Bishop's Tachbrook, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV33

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Bishop's Tachbrook

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Tachbrook

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Tachbrook St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Barford

Listing Text

BISHOPS TACHBROOK Savages Close

16/118 The Old Manor House
No 15
11.4.67

- II

Circa 1558 with large late C19 addition to north; the whole much modernised.
The older portion is H-shaped in plan facing west, with slightly projecting
gabled cross-wings. The fabric of the west front is hidden by painted pebble-
dash render but the south side is of C17 brickwork. Rendered plinth. Steeply
pitched plain tile roof with gabled ends. Bargeboards with finials to all
gables. One storey and attic, four-window range to west. Three gabled bays.
All fenestration restored and of C19 date. At ground floor three splayed oriel
bay windows with mullion/transom casements, and one 4-light mullion/transom
window to left of porch. Steps up to gabled wooden porch. Front entrance door
six-panelled with moulded framing and panels carved with lozenge ornament. At
first floor one 8-light mullion/transom window and one gabled dormer with
four-light mullion/transom casements. Three brick chimney stacks, two at ridge
and one projects from south elevation. Interior of older portion: early C17
panelling in entrance hall. Staircase behind entrance hall is partly of C17
date with turned balusters. Ground floor rooms have C17 ceiling beams. The
splayed bay window on west elevation to room south of entrance hall contains
some old glass including the Savage Arms dated 1577. The above-mentioned bay
window and that to south and the one immediately round corner on south eleva-
tion have been restored but retain carved C16 external friezes above the
lights. In library at first floor of northern cross-wing, a large late C16 oak
chimney piece from Kenilworth Castle. Richly carved with overmantle of three
bays. Barrel vaulted plaster ceilings to library and bedroom at first floor of
southern cross-wing. The late C19 painted rendered addition to north is of two
storeys and attic. Gabled cross-wing and gable to north. Mullion/transom
casements similar to those on older portion. Two brick ridge chimney stacks
and brick water tower on west in angle between cross-wing and northern gable.
Tachbrook was one of the estates belonging to the Savage Landor family and
Walter Savage Landor, the poet and writer, spent much of his time in this
house.

Listing NGR: SP3158361282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.