This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3858 / 51°23'8"N
Longitude: 0.5007 / 0°30'2"E
OS Eastings: 574102
OS Northings: 168165
OS Grid: TQ741681
Mapcode National: GBR PPV.1DD
Mapcode Global: VHJLT.MFKG
Entry Name: St Ronans
Listing Date: 2 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173098
Location: Medway, ME1
Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West
Built-Up Area: Rochester
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
ROCHESTER KING EDWARD ROAD
TQ 7468 SW
( north east side)
1797/9/10000 St Ronans
Large house, later part of School. Designed in 1899 built in
1900 for his own occupation by the local architect G E Bond in
Arts and Crofts style. Built of red brick in stretched bond with
stone dressings, applied timber framing with pebble dashed infill
to gables and tiled roof with 4 brick chimney stacks.
Asymmetrical building of 2 storeys and attic with irregular
fenestration. South elevation has projecting gable to left,
timber framed with pebble dashed infill, and 1st floor cambered
sash with stained glass and to ground floor integral hipped coach
house. Right side also has timber framed gable with pebble
dashed infill with attic casement, 1st floor has mullioned and
transomed window with stained glass to upper part and central
sash above doorcase which has round-headed door with round headed
stone canopy with brackets incoporating the date (1900) and
initials (GEB)of the architect. Right corner has octagonal
turret with crenellated parapet and lead dome with finial. North
elevation has 2 pairs of cambered sashes without grazing bars to
1st floor and ground floor has right side 5 light square bay,
left side cambered sash and angled 4 light bay on left corner.
Unusually complete interior of the period includes elaborate
floriate stained glass panels to hall door, oak staircase with
scrolled tread ends, 2 turned balusters to each tread and newel
post with floral motif and coloured floor tiles with floral
pattern. Drawing room has wide cornice and fireplace with eared
architrave, pilasters and fine quality tiled sides and hearth.
Dining-room has brown marble fireplace, ceiling with strapwork
design, deep plastered cornice and corner display niche. Morning
room has fire place with oval paterea and pilasters.
Listing NGR: TQ7410268165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings