This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9689 / 54°58'8"N
Longitude: -1.6192 / 1°37'9"W
OS Eastings: 424474
OS Northings: 563877
OS Grid: NZ244638
Mapcode National: GBR SNG.1F
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.3C6L
Entry Name: Presbytery Attached to Cathedral of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115801
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304492
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2463 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAYTON STREET WEST
22/185 Presbytery attached to
Cathedral of St. Mary
Roman Catholic presbytery. Circa 1860 by Edward Welby Pugin; additions 1869 by A.M. Dunn. Brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Irregular plan with right wing breaking forward through 45°. Tudor style. 2 storeys, 3 bays; lower 2-storey 3-bay link to Cathedral vestry at left. Main block has one-storey canted porch,with central door in Tudor-arched surround, and stone surrounds to windows in angles. Gabled bay at left with one window on each floor, and square stair turret with lancets under parapet at right. Lancet and 7-light windows above porch. Wing breaking forward has front chimney stack with offsets, flanked by arched stone windows. Steeply-pitched roofs, hipped to main block and link, have tall polygonal chimneys with ashlar strings and cornices.
Listing NGR: NZ2447463877
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings