History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weston House, Including Remains of Former Catholic Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston Underwood, Milton Keynes

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1483 / 52°8'53"N

Longitude: -0.7335 / 0°44'0"W

OS Eastings: 486752

OS Northings: 250754

OS Grid: SP867507

Mapcode National: GBR CYZ.7CG

Mapcode Global: VHDSN.78KG

Entry Name: Weston House, Including Remains of Former Catholic Chapel

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Last Amended: 27 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115867

English Heritage Legacy ID: 351160

Location: Weston Underwood, Milton Keynes, MK46

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Weston Underwood

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Weston Underwood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Weston Underwood

Listing Text

SP 85 SE WESTON UNDERWOOD OLNEY ROAD
(south east side)

1/252 Weston House, including remains
of former Catholic chapel
(formerly listed as the Chapel)

17.11.66 (part)

GV II

House, a surviving wing of a mansion and including the surviving bay
of a former Roman Catholic Chapel. Early C18 with additions of 1828
and later. Coursed rubblestone and plain tile roofs. Early C18 part
of 3 bays and 2 storeys. At left is single storey c 1980 addition with
6-panel door and 2-light casement. Other bays have modern 2-light
casements with transom lights and at right, a C18 door below console
bracketed hood, probably reset. Upper floor has 3 leaded cross-casement
windows which are original. Moulded eaves and tile roof hipped to north,
1828 block parallel to C18 block and of 2 storeys with attic. South
front has gable stacks, french doors to ground floor and sashes above.
Rainwater head to valley dated 1828. South west front of 3 bays, has
ground floor with 2 leaded-light cross casements and door at left, first
floor sashes. Chapel bay set back from north east front and has half-
hipped tile roof. One leaded Y-tracery Gothic window. Interior: Centre
and north west rooms have egg-and-dart and acanthus friezed box cornice
Fireplaces have dentil cornices. This house is the west wing of Weston
House which was refronted and the wings added circa 1710. The original
house was C16. The early C18 work was done for Sir Robert Throckmorton
but the bulk of the mansion was demolished in 1827. The chapel was
built for the Throckmortons in 1838, but mostly demolished C20.
RCHM II 318 MON 8 (part)


Listing NGR: SP8675250754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.