This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9595 / 51°57'34"N
Longitude: -0.7216 / 0°43'17"W
OS Eastings: 487940
OS Northings: 229772
OS Grid: SP879297
Mapcode National: GBR D19.4CL
Mapcode Global: VHDTM.F0WP
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 18 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115981
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350817
Location: Stoke Hammond, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Stoke Hammond
Built-Up Area: Stoke Hammond
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke Hammond
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 NE STOKE HAMMOND SCHOOL LANE
3/77 Church of St. Luke
Parish church. C14 chancel and central tower, nave and transepts with
late C15 details, C15 S. porch. W. wall of nave rebuilt and church
restored 1852. Greensand rubble with limestone dressings, ashlar parapets,
diagonal buttresses to chancel repaired with brick. Lead roofs.
Nave has much restored Perpendicular windows, 5-light to W., 3-light
to N. and S. all with 4-centred heads. Moulded doorways, that to N.
blocked, that to S. in gabled porch. Transepts have similar 3-light
windows to N. and S. N. transept has lean-to to W. with arched
doorway to lower stairs, and C19 lean-to vestry to E. Central
tower is of one stage above the nave and has battlemented parapet and
2-light Decorated openings with ogee tracery. Chancel has one bay of
2-light Decorated windows, a single cusped low-side window and small
moulded doorway to S., and a 3-light Perpendicular E. window all restored.
Interior: main beams of nave and transept roofs are C15 but have C19
carved bosses and in the transepts, C19 carved angel corbels Tower
rests on 4 double-chamfered arches, those to nave and chancel on semi-
octagonal piers with moulded caps Chancel has piscina and double sedilia
in ogee arches. Fittings C14 font with circular bowl on stem with
4 attached shafts; altar table dated 1619; poor box dated 1618 on turned
baluster; other fittings C19. Monuments: late C17 monument to members of
Disney and Wilks families on N. wall of chancel has dark grey stone
inscription tablet in clunch surround of tapering Doric columns, and
broken pediment with relief of kneeling figures; tablet to Mary Disney 1658;
Tablet to members of Fountaine family 1650-90 in N. transept; tablet to
Trimnell and Hillersdon Frank 1766 in nave. RCHM II p.282-3.
Listing NGR: SP8794029772
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings