History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aston Abbotts, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8743 / 51°52'27"N

Longitude: -0.7705 / 0°46'13"W

OS Eastings: 484739

OS Northings: 220239

OS Grid: SP847202

Mapcode National: GBR D26.J0C

Mapcode Global: VHDTZ.L5J0

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 18 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116023

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350738

Location: Aston Abbotts, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Aston Abbotts

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Aston Abbots

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Aylesbury

Listing Text

SP 82 SW ASTON ABBOTTS CUBLINGTON ROAD
Church of St. James
5/1

18.10.66

GV II*

Parish church. W. tower is late C15 - early C16, remainder rebuilt
1865-6 by G.E. Street. Rubble stone, the tower with roughly
dressed blocks. Tiled roofs with decorative ridges and stone
coped gables. Tower, nave, S. porch, chancel, vestry. Tower
has square stair turret at S.E. corner, diagonal buttresses,
restored battlemented parapet and worn plinth. Bell chamber
has paired openings to W. and E., and single lights to N., and
S. W. side has door and 3-light traceried window. All tower
openings have 4-centred heads. Remainder is in Decorated style
with traceried windows. Nave has 2 3-light windows to N. and
3 2-light windows to S. S. porch is steeply gabled with 2-centred
arch. Chancel has one bay of 2-light windows and 3-light window
to E., all with some re-set old masonry. Lowside window to S.
has pair of cusped lancets. Interior: triple chamfered tower
arch, simple chamfered chancel arch. Nave has C19 arch-braced collar
and king-post roof. Restored C15 piscina and octagonal font.
Chest dated 1695. Other fittings C19.

RCHM II p.56.


Listing NGR: SP8473920239

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.