This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4789 / 52°28'44"N
Longitude: -1.6561 / 1°39'22"W
OS Eastings: 423450
OS Northings: 286833
OS Grid: SP234868
Mapcode National: GBR 5JQ.G49
Mapcode Global: VHBWH.7YTJ
Entry Name: Priory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309013
Location: Maxstoke, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Maxstoke
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Maxstoke
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD
SP2386 (South side)
17/108 Priory Farmhouse
Inner gatehouse to Priory of Augustinian Canons; converted to a house late C16.
Early C14 with late C16 alterations. Squared and irregular coursed sandstone.
Timber-framed with brick infill and red brick. Plain-tiled roof. Red brick ridge
stack and late C16 projecting side stack on the rear, of coursed sandstone with
red brick to upper courses. 2 storeys and attic. North front has 2 first floor
late C16 or early C17 ovolo mullion cross-frame casements of sandstone. Another
window to a gable above the doorway has a moulded stone architrave and 3-light
wood cross-frame casement of C18/C19. At ground floor a doorway in early C19
rusticated stone surround. C20 plank door. 3-centred double chamfered
carriageway arch, early C14, now blocked. Rear wall has opposing carriageway
arch now blocked. Late C16 cross-frame casements in rear wall including one of 3
lights to first floor hall. The west gable end has mid/late C16 timber-framing
of vertical studding to part of the wall and the east gable end has been rebuilt
in red brick in Cl8/C19. Interior: Mid/late C16 roof in 5 bays. Through-purlins
with wind bracing, cambered tie beams and raking Queen struts. Original
chamfered arches of early C14 to some openings on the interior. Mid C17
staircase with symmetrically turned balusters with square newels and moulded
rail. Run-through panelling reset in one room having C16 ceiling enriched with
moulded main beams and painted with shields of arms. Originally at first floor
and moved to ground floor. Originally the inner gatehouse with priors lodging
above of the priory of Augustinian Canons founded by William de Clinton, Earl of
Huntingdon, in 1336 and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument.
(VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Buildings of England; Warwickshire: p349)
Listing NGR: SP2345086833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings