This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3479 / 53°20'52"N
Longitude: -2.9968 / 2°59'48"W
OS Eastings: 333737
OS Northings: 383906
OS Grid: SJ337839
Mapcode National: GBR 7YHQ.ZL
Mapcode Global: WH87L.Y33S
Entry Name: Lever House
Listing Date: 12 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215624
Location: Wirral, CH62
Electoral Ward/Division: Bromborough
Built-Up Area: Bebington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: New Ferry St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chester
BEBINGTON WOOD STREET
SJ 38 SW
Office building. 1895. By William and Segar Owen. Rear
block. 1913-14. By J. Lomax Simpson. Brick with stone
dressings, slate roofs. One storey, 35-bay block to street,
with 2 storey 21 bay rear block. Central 11 bays of stone.
Top entablature,cornice, and parapet to right of centre.
Centre has moulded base, sill course and balustrade; Ionic
pilastrade with end quoin strips. Windows have architraves,
keys and segmental pediments and are sashed, no glazing
bars; relief carving of wreaths, swags, ribbands and drops.
Central entrance has architrave with key and overlight,
cartouche above inscribed "LEVER HOUSE"; flanking panelled
pilasters with entablature blocks and open pediment. Clock
above has open segmental pediment and carved surround. Royal
Arms above balustrade. 2 wrought iron bracketed lamps. Wings
have applied round arcade with paired windows with stone
lintels, bays flanking centre are narrower. End bay has
paired entrances under round archivolts and fanlights.
Several cross-axial stacks. Rear block similar, all but end
3 bays have balustrade, central panel with date. Windows
similar to above, those to centre 5 bays with stone
architraves, flanked by bull's eyes in square stone panels.
Cross-axial stacks. Interior has richly decorated entrance
hall with short flight of steps to upper end, saucer dome
and rectangular ceiling light. Entrances have swan-neck
pediments. Large office wings to sides have segmental
vaulted ceilings, similar wing to rear has 1st floor
Listing NGR: SJ3373783906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings