History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rodway Hill Manor (East and West Wing)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mangotsfield Rural, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4804 / 51°28'49"N

Longitude: -2.486 / 2°29'9"W

OS Eastings: 366346

OS Northings: 175828

OS Grid: ST663758

Mapcode National: GBR JW.KTM5

Mapcode Global: VH88P.V1MY

Entry Name: Rodway Hill Manor (East and West Wing)

Listing Date: 11 May 1953

Last Amended: 21 October 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28755

Location: Mangotsfield Rural, South Gloucestershire, BS16

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Emersons Green

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Mangotsfield

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Siston

Listing Text

In the entry for

2/88 MANGOTSFIELD RURAL MANOR ROAD
Rodway Hill and
Rodway Manor (formerly
listed as Rodway Hill
House under Rodway Hill)

The address shall be amended to read

MANOR ROAD
Rodway Hill Manor
(East Wing and West Wing)
(formerly listed as
Rodway Hill House under
Rodway Hill)

------------------------------------

1.
5118 MANGOTSFIELD RURAL MANOR ROAD
Rodway Hill and
Rodway Manor
(formerly listed as
Rodway Hill House
under Rodway Hill
ST 67 NE 2/88 11.5.53.
II*
2.
Mediaeval origins, largely rebuilt circa 1520 by Sir Thomas Berkeley.
Altered again after purchase in 1663 by John Meredith. Later additions,
alterations and some restorations. Pennant stone rubble, freestone dressings,
double-saddle modern pantile roof with coped verges, square brick stacks
with moulded stone caps set diagonally in groups of 2 and 3. Three storeys,
south elevation has 3 windows, 3-light leaded casement window, moulded
stone mullions, 4 centred sub-arches under square heads wth rectangular
dripmoulds; heraldic beast label stops to the 2 left hand windows. Restored
gabled porch to right with chamfered 4-centre arch opening, painted cast-iron
heraldic achievement on porch gable face. Two stair windows of 2-lights
to left of porch. Probably later 3 storey one bay projecting wing to right
with similar, (possibly Victorian 'restored') 4-centred arch casements, this
wing 2 ranges of blocked moulded single-light windows. Two storey wing to
extreme left with curved and ramped stone coping, one 2-light 4-centred arch
casement to each floor, oval window to ground floor left. Some windows restored,
some retain iron stauchions and saddle-bars. A number of Victorian sash windows
with brick cambered head to rear which has a moulded Tudor arch doorway under
square head with rectangular dripmould. Second door to right with Tudor arch
surround. To left a range of Tudor arch moulded head windows (with drip on
ground floor and shields and label stops).
Interior: East ground floor room has double exit to south (for stairs and hall)
with double ogee flat head surround, outer moulding double stopped, inner one
dies on corner; east door has double ogee surround with urn and relief stop;
plaster devises in fireplace wall; double stop chamfered beams. Very good
dog leg staircase with turned baluster, relief carved strings, cut pendants
and carved newels. Rich fireplace in south-east room said to have been moved
here from elsewhere: strapwork, Ionic columns above mantel, male and female
figures bearing corn-dollies (probably circa 1600), arms of Meredith and Basset
appear to be an insertion, centre part of overmantel removed. On first floor,
2 doorways from stairs, one with double-ogee moulding, right hand one ogee
with carved stops, battened Tudor arch door. First floor east room has Tudor
arch fireplace. First floor room to centre has carved overdoor panel. East
crosswing attic has arch braced collars to trusses. Second floor of centre
portion has 2 moulded door surrounds, one with cambered head. Also said to
contain a fine newel stair.


Listing NGR: ST6634675828

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.