History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The John George Joicey Museum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9716 / 54°58'17"N

Longitude: -1.6075 / 1°36'26"W

OS Eastings: 425225

OS Northings: 564177

OS Grid: NZ252641

Mapcode National: GBR SQ4.V4

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.89SK

Entry Name: The John George Joicey Museum

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116207

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304462

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Ouseburn

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text

NZ 2564 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CITY ROAD
(north side)

21/157 The John George Joicey
14/6/54 Museum. (formerly listed
as The Holy Jesus Hospital)

G.V. II*


Almshouses, now museum. 1681, for the Corporation of Newcastle upon Tyne, to
house a master and 39 poor freemen or freemen's widows; heightened later. English
garden wall bond brick; renewed pantiled roof. 3 storeys, 15 windows. 1886 rear
wing. Arcaded ground floor has 30 rubbed and moulded brick arches. First floor
has alternate flat and segmental brick arches to 3-light casements with brick
aprons; central feature of keyed semicircular pediment, breaking second floor string,
rests on mask bracket and has cartouches in tympanum and below. String breaks
forward over flanking pilasters crowned by consoles. Plain second-floor casements.
Moulded floor strings; dog-tooth cornice. Roof with shaped gable ends has corniced
brick chimney stacks. 1886 rear wing in similar style, built as soup kitchen.
Interior shows central stair with turned balusters and high grip handrail with
lion finial. Source: H. Bourne, History of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle 1736,
p. 137.


Listing NGR: NZ2522564177

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.