This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5604 / 52°33'37"N
Longitude: -1.9292 / 1°55'45"W
OS Eastings: 404894
OS Northings: 295846
OS Grid: SP048958
Mapcode National: GBR 2SC.S1
Mapcode Global: WHBG2.BWKZ
Entry Name: Church of St Maragret
Listing Date: 31 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219059
Location: Walsall, B43
Electoral Ward/Division: Pheasey Park Farm
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Great Barr St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WALSALL MB CHAPEL LANE
SP 09 NW
7/23 Church of St Margaret
Church. 1862 by Griffin. Brick tower of 1677 with C18 spire, encased in
sandstone in 1893. Limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings and tile
roof. Comprises a west tower, nave with north and south aisles under
pitched roofs, lower chancel, and north vestry. Tower has angle buttresses,
a moulded pointed west door with clock face above, and moulded pointed bell
openings of two trefoiled lights. A banded stone spire with lucarnes is
set back behind an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Windows have
pointed heads and Geometric tracery. The west windows of the aisles are of
three lights. The south aisle is of five bays separated by buttresses.
The windows are of two lights except for the right-hand one which is of
one light. The left-hand bay is covered by mid-C20 extensions. The north
aisle is of five bays with 2-light windows. The nave has timber dormers.
The east window of the south aisle is of two lights, the chancel window of
three lights, and the north aisle has a round east window. Interior: four-bay
nave arcades have round columns with foliated capitals, and pointed arches
chamfered in two orders. The open roof has arch-braced trusses carried on
carved stone corbels. The pointed chancel arch springs from responds which
are carried on angel corbels. Arches open from the chancel into a north
organ chamber and south chapel. Windows contain glass of late C19 and early
C20 date. Alabaster pulpit designed by Walter Tapper, RA. (Reaney, JS,
The History of the Church of St Margaret, Great Barr, n.d.).
Listing NGR: SP0489495846
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings