This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.909 / 53°54'32"N
Longitude: -1.3348 / 1°20'5"W
OS Eastings: 443796
OS Northings: 446080
OS Grid: SE437460
Mapcode National: GBR MR37.TG
Mapcode Global: WHDB7.G0LL
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116267
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342033
Location: Thorp Arch, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Thorp Arch
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorp-Arch All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE44NW THORP ARCH CHURCH CAUSEWAY
LS23 (east side)
2/l10 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 south door, C15 tower otherwise of 1871-2 by G. E. Street.
Coursed, dressed magnesian limestone, red tile and Welsh slate roofs, West
tower, 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, narrower 2-bay chancel
with north vestry. Tower: Perpendicular; moulded plinth; offset diagonal
buttresses flank a hollow-chamfered and cusped 3-light west window beneath
hoodmould with head-carved stops; 2 slit windows above. Large square sundial
with iron gnomon on south side. String course beneath belfry stage having
chamfered, pointed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds; another string course
with gargoyles to north and south and small central shields beneath embattled
parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: Gothic Revival style; gabled porch
on left with diagonal buttresses, moulded arch with hoodmould and gable
copings with old apex cross. C12 south doorway within has renewed shafts and
carved capitals to round arch with beakheads; headless figure reset in east
wall of porch; other carved fragments opposite; also a detached block with 2
crudely-carved faces, probably C14. Body of nave has hollow-chamfered
plinth, diagonal west buttress and angle buttress to east; string course
drops down on left beneath tall single-light window; two 2-light windows to
right both narrow and trefoiled. Gable copings with east cross. North
aisle: buttresses as nave; string course beneath three square-headed windows
each having 2 cusped lights in hollow-chamfered surround; pointed 2-light
west window. Chancel: lower. Quadrant-moulded priests' door with hoodmould
having head-carved stops; on its left a 2-light window with geometrical
tracery and hoodmould. Angle buttresses flank a 3-light east window with
geometrical tracery and hoodmould having head-carved stops; small gable slit;
east gable copings with cross. Lean-to north vestry with string course
beneath 2-light north window as aisle and carried over pointed doorway; 2-
light east window with cross in sunken panel over.
Interior; plain, pointed tower arch now plastered over. C19 north arcade has
round piers and moulded capitals to double-cavetto moulded arches; similar
chancel arch. Alabaster reredos, with arched niche on north wall housing C14
child's cross slab inscribed 'HICJACET JOHES FILIUS JOHIS DE BELEWE'.
Painted panelling to chancel ceiling. C20 fittings.
H. Speight,Lower Wharfedale, 1902, pp 426-428.
Listing NGR: SE4379646080
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings