This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9688 / 54°58'7"N
Longitude: -1.6093 / 1°36'33"W
OS Eastings: 425111
OS Northings: 563866
OS Grid: NZ251638
Mapcode National: GBR SPW.JK
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.7CXP
Entry Name: Moot Hall
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304451
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CASTLE GARTH
24/146 Moot Hall (formerly
17.12.71 listed in Castle Ward,
Courts. 1811 by John Stokoe; alterations 1877 by W. Crozier, Durham County
Architect, and later. Sandstone ashlar; roof not visible. Greek revival style.
2 storeys; 1:3:3:3:1 bays, 11 in all. 6 full-width steps, breaking forward to
central pedimented tetrastyle Doric portico. Renewed double doors at centre and
in slightly projecting end bays. Sash windows in plain reveals, glazing bars to
those on ground floor. Bands at ground floor lintels and first floor level.
Eaves fascia and cornice; high coped parapet. 3 late C19 square tapered lamps
on elaborate brackets over door. Each end has oval marble mount holding cast
iron drinking fountain with lion mask tap; cups removed. 1877 alterations
included insertion of full-width steps between end and centre pavilions; filling-
in of rear portico; interior remodelling. Interior shows some original cornices,
door and window architraves and shutters to original window. Massive studded
doors to basement cells with very sturdy hinges and bands; manacles attached to
wall of cell. Historical note: until 1974 this was a detached part of the County
of Northumberland. Contemporary accounts give William Stokoe as architect;
elevational drawings are signed by John. Source: Laing Art Gallery catalogue.
Tyneside Classical Tradition. Tyne and Wear County Museums 1980, p.14.
Listing NGR: NZ2511163866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings