This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.587 / 52°35'13"N
Longitude: -0.6918 / 0°41'30"W
OS Eastings: 488725
OS Northings: 299603
OS Grid: SP887996
Mapcode National: GBR CSL.ZW6
Mapcode Global: WHGM6.B7TK
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116350
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187533
Location: Bisbrooke, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Bisbrooke
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Bisbrooke St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BISBROOKE CHURCH LANE
SP 89 NE
10.11.55 Church of St John
Parish church. Totally rebuilt 1871 "to the designs of the late Mr Langley"
(Pevsner). Tower completed 1914. Coursed ironstone rubble with Collyweston
slate roofs to nave and chancel, and Welsh slate roofs to aisles. In Decorated
style. W tower at end of S aisle, nave, aisles, chancel, N vestry. Tower is of
4 stages, with angle buttresses, battlemented parapet and 2-light traceried
openings to bell-chamber. Second stage has pair of louvred cusped lancets to
each side, and lowest stage has 2-light traceried windows to S and W. N side has
niche with moulded corbel and canopy to third stage, and arched door in moulded
surround with shafts. Nave has 3-light traceried window and cusped triangular
window in W end and 3-bay clerestory of 2-light rectangular windows with ogee
tracery. Aisles have moulded parapets, plinths and sill strings, and 3 bays of
2-light traceried windows matching those of tower. N aisle is continued one bay
to east to provide vestry with door in E end. Chancel has one bay of similar
2-light windows, and a 3-light traceried E window. Interior: 3-bay nave arcades
with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Similar chancel arch.
Arch-braced collar roofs. Contemporary fittngs. Stained glass of 1910 in SW
window, and of 1978 in E window. Nothing appears to have been re-used from
(N Pevsner and E Williamson, The Buildings of England, Leicestershire and
Rutland, 1984, p 456).
Listing NGR: SP8872599603
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings