History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Wibtoft, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4846 / 52°29'4"N

Longitude: -1.2948 / 1°17'41"W

OS Eastings: 447988

OS Northings: 287637

OS Grid: SP479876

Mapcode National: GBR 7MV.9GC

Mapcode Global: VHCT4.HTW6

Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary

Listing Date: 6 October 1960

Last Amended: 14 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308892

Location: Wibtoft, Rugby, Warwickshire, LE17

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

Civil Parish: Wibtoft

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Claybrooke St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Ullesthorpe

Listing Text

WIBTOFT GREEN LANE
SP48NE (East side)
5/26 Chapel of St. Mary
06/10/60 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. John)
- II

Small church. Dated 1634, but with mediaeval origins and remains. Rebuilt
early/mid C19. Coursed squared and rubble limestone west and south walls, with
stone plinth throughout, largely rebuilt in English bond brick. Plain-tile
roofs. One-bay chancel, 2-bay nave. Chancel has 2 low east buttresses. Painted
wood lead-latticed windows throughout. 3-light Tudor-arched east window has
simple tracery. Gable has moulded datestone. Nave windows have Y-tracery and
metal casements with irregular brick surrounds. West front has chamfered arch
doorway with brick jambs. Old studded plank door. Simple timber bellcote,
probably of 1889, has pyramidal roof. Simple interior is plastered. Chancel has
boarded roof. Simple plaster chamfered segmental chancel arch. Queen strut nave
roof. Octagonal stone font, chamfered to square base, has blind quatrefoils to
alternate sides.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.258; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.472).


Listing NGR: SP4798887637

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.