History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Grammer School

A Grade II Listed Building in Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5218 / 52°31'18"N

Longitude: -1.4629 / 1°27'46"W

OS Eastings: 436536

OS Northings: 291679

OS Grid: SP365916

Mapcode National: GBR 6KQ.WFH

Mapcode Global: VHBWD.LWG5

Entry Name: The Old Grammer School

Listing Date: 11 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308622

Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV11

County: Warwickshire

District: Nuneaton and Bedworth

Town: Nuneaton and Bedworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey

Built-Up Area: Nuneaton

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Nuneaton St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Nuneaton

Listing Text

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH VICARAGE STREET
SP39SE
(East side)
Nuneaton
2/81 The Old Grammar School
06/12/49
GV II

Former school, now parish room. Dated 1696; single-storey range rebuilt after
1941. Flemish bond brick with chamfered sandstone plinth, moulded cornice,
parapet and plain pinnacles. Square tower to churchyard. 2 storeys; one-window
range. Hid C20 four-light painted wood mullioned windows. All windows throughout
the building have brick flat arches with keystones. Left return side has C20
eight-panelled door, and 2-light casement above. Painted wood octagonal open
cupola has ogee arches. Bell-cast lead roof. Elaborate wrought iron weather vane
has gilded ball, scrollwork, and gilded lettering, flag vane and finial. Screen
wall set back on left steps down in 2 stages, the upper with a quadrant curve.
Round-arched doorway has keystone and imposts, and C20 eight-panelled door.
Stone inscription panel above has moulded surround. Inscription records the
founding of the school in 1596 and its rebuilding, and the names of the
Receivers and Governors. Single-storey range behind has dentil cornice and
plain-tile hipped roof. 4-window range to Vicarage Street. Interior not
inspected.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p365)


Listing NGR: SP3653691678

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.