This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9701 / 54°58'12"N
Longitude: -1.6052 / 1°36'18"W
OS Eastings: 425370
OS Northings: 564010
OS Grid: NZ253640
Mapcode National: GBR SQG.LC
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.9BVQ
Entry Name: Trinity House Gate and Chapel
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304430
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Ouseburn
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2564 SW and NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BROAD CHASE (west side)
21/125 and 24/125 Trinity House gate and
Gatehouse and chapel. Street front of a range of buildings around a
courtyard. Mostly C17 incorporating earlier buildings; restoration C19,
including gatehouse refronting dated 1841. Sandstone, coursed and squared
to chapel and ashlar to gatehouse, with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roofs.
Forms part of U-shaped range around courtyard. 2 storeys, 2 bays.
Tudor-arched gateway at left under paired 4-light windows with tracery;
chapel at right has gable to street containing restored 4-light window;
2 blocked square openings below. Round-headed empty niches flank chapel
window; roundel in peak of asymmetrical gable. Rear of chapel is entrance
hall of Trinity House, at first floor level, and has Classical-style flight
of steps and pedimented front of 3 bays, with narrow sashes flanking double
half-glazed door; bays defined by Tuscan pilasters. Interior of chapel
has panelled wall above boarded dado; boarded ceiling to roof with moulded
tie beams. Complete furnishings of pews and pulpit of mid C17 with carved
cherubs, strapwork and small balustrades; half-glazed west screen separates
chapel from entrance hall. The secretary's room adjoining the chapel is
the rear first floor of No. 31 Broad Chare (q.v.) and was altered in 1850.
Sources: Knowles and Boyle Vestiges of Old Newcastle and Gateshead,
Newcastle 1892; McCombie 'The buildings of Trinity House, Newcastle upon
Tyne" in Archaeologia Aeliana 5 XIII, Newcastle 1985.
Listing NGR: NZ2537064010
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings