This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8916 / 53°53'29"N
Longitude: -1.3534 / 1°21'12"W
OS Eastings: 442595
OS Northings: 444126
OS Grid: SE425441
Mapcode National: GBR LRZF.SQ
Mapcode Global: WHDB7.5GT0
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116427
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342013
Location: Clifford, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Clifford
Built-Up Area: Clifford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Clifford St Luke
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 4244-4344 CLIFFORD BRAMHAM ROAD
LS23 (west side)
7/92 Church of St. Luke
Church. 1841-2 by Atkinson (Pevsner p.164). Ashlar magnesian limestone,
graduated slate roof. Cruciform plan with west tower; in Gothic Revival
style with lancet windows. Tower: 2 stages; tall lower stage has chamfered
plinth with west doorway under shouldered lintel; clasping buttresses with
moulded offsets, hollow arrises and offset tops; tall double-chamfered west
window beneath shorter lancet with hoodmould. Cusped circular windows and
string course beneath belfry stage having shafted arrises; continuous
hoodmould to 2-light, louvred belfry openings with shafts and spandrel
trefoils. Blind quatrefoils below corbel table to plain parapet with corner
dies. Nave (south side): chamfered plinth, clasping west buttress on left of
2 double-chamfered windows; chamfered eaves band; shaped kneeler (on left),
ashlar gable copings. North doorway with hoodmould to west of single lancet.
Transepts have matching gables each with 2 windows under hoodmoulds with
carved stops flanked by buttresses having offsets and gablets; hooded
circular window beneath vesica; shaped kneelers and copings. Chancel:
moulded sill to east window of 3, stepped lights with shafts and hoodmould
with nailhead ornament; sill to gable trefoil; shaped kneelers and gable
copings with apex cross. Flat-roofed vestries in angles with transepts and
chancel have side doorways and 2-light east windows under shouldered heads.
Interior: quadripartite vault at crossing on corbelled, arch-braced trusses.
Octagonal stone font. Eamonson Charity board (1852) under tower.
N. Pevsner,B.O.E., 1967 ed.
Listing NGR: SE4259544126
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings