History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barford, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2457 / 52°14'44"N

Longitude: -1.6025 / 1°36'9"W

OS Eastings: 427234

OS Northings: 260909

OS Grid: SP272609

Mapcode National: GBR 5MP.3NR

Mapcode Global: VHBXP.5TNB

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116437

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307920

Location: Barford, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Barford

Built-Up Area: Barford (Warwick)

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Barford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Barford

Listing Text

BARFORD Church Street
(south side)
25/53
Church of St Peter
11.4.67

GV II*

Parish church. Late C14, Perpendicular tower, remainder of church (chancel,
north transceptal organ chamber and vestry, nave, north and south aisles)
rebuilt in 1844 in Perpendicular style by R C Hussey, paid for by Miss Louisa
Ann Ryland. Ashlar stone with pitched slate roofs. West tower with chamfered
plinth, embattled parapet and at angles diagonal buttresses. In south wall
former doorway to church, in west wall window of three cinquefoil lights
without tracery under two centred head. Bell chamber has one window on each
elevation of two trefoil lights. Clock on west wall 1844. Externally north
and south aisles of five bays with buttresses between bays. North aisle has
five rectangular paired trefoil windows in north wall, a three-light trefoil
window in west wall, organ chamber at east end. South aisle has four rectangu-
lar paired trefoil windows, modern glazed door under four centred arch, now
main entrance to church, protected by gabled porch. West wall has a three-
light trefoil window, east wall has a three-light trefoil window. Aisles of
five bay arcades, two chamfered orders on polygonal piers. Hammerbeam roof trusses
to nave and chancel. Chancel of two bays with two rectangular trefoil windows
on south side and on north wall of organ chamber and vestry external door and
three rectangular windows with trefoil lights. A three-light trefoil window in
east wall of vestry. High segmental pointed chancel arch of two chamfered
orders dying on square jambs. East chancel window of five trefoil lights with
stained glass by Holland of Warwick, 1845. Interior: Mid-Cl9 font (1844) at
western end of nave passage. Box pews with poppyhead bench ends. C16 iron
bound chest at east end of north aisle. Monuments: North wall of chancel -
above vestry door tablet with small urn in front of obelisk to John Mills,
1791; to east, mural monument to Thomas Dugard A.M., 1683 consisting of stone
tablet with Corinthian columns, entablature and open pediment, putto head at
foot. South wall of chancel - draped urn to Jane Mills, 1841 by J Browne of
London; urn on pedestal to Charles Mills, 1826. West wall of south aisle -
urn on pedestal to Frances Cattell, 1795 by King and Son of London; draped urn
on pedestal to William Mills, 1820 by Henry Westmacott. West wall of north
aisle - urn on pedestal to Sarah Mills, 1807 by J King of London. Lying in the
tower is defaced C14 recumbent effigy of a woman. Graveyard: to south of nave
two table tombs, one to Thomas Handley, 1831, the other to Sarah Handley, 1853,
two table tombs to south of chancel to Jane Cary, 1817, the other defaced.
Thomas Arch buried in Churchyard.

Listing NGR: SP2723460909

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.