History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newton Regis, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6642 / 52°39'51"N

Longitude: -1.5886 / 1°35'19"W

OS Eastings: 427919

OS Northings: 307468

OS Grid: SK279074

Mapcode National: GBR 5GH.TDM

Mapcode Global: WHCGZ.K9QC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 22 July 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309303

Location: Newton Regis, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B79

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Newton Regis

Built-Up Area: Newton Regis

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: North Warwickshire All Souls

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Newton Regis

Listing Text

NEWTON REGIS MAIN ROAD
SK2ONE (South side)
2/68 Church of St Mary
22/07/53

- ll*


Church, Early C13 and mid C14. C14 tower; late C13/early C14 chancel; nave
rebuilt, chancel remodelled and spire added mid C14 Late C14 chancel and C15
nave. Clerestorys restored 1905 and 1908 Sandstone ashlar. Roofs hidden by
parapets with moulded cornices. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch. 2-bay
chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splay plinth, Low but deep diagonal buttresses
of 2 offsets. 5-light east window has late C13 cusped intersecting tracery with
sill course. Shallow-pitched gable. Simple chamfered south doorway has plank
door. Blocked segientai-arched doorway. Blocked low-side window. Round-arched
double-chamfered 2-light window has Decorated tracery and deep splayed sill.
Clerestory above original moulded cornice has straight-headed windows of 2
trefoiled lights to north and south. North side has buttress of 2 offsets.
Windows have Y-tracery and deep splay sills, Eastern window has segmental arch;
longer western window is blacked up and plastered, and has simple western arch.
C18 fluted lead rainwater head. South parch has buttresses of 2 offsets flush
with front and against nave wall. Doorway has arch of 2 chamfered orders with
single deep splay jambs. Parapet and central gable. Return sides have 2-light
cavetto-moulded mullion windows. Interior has pointed tunnel vault with
transverse ribs. Simple moulded ogee south doorway with round-arched plank: door
3-light eastern window has reticulated tracery; 2-light western window has
flowing tracery. Clerestory of 3-light and 2-light Perpendicular windows.
Embattled parapet. North side has large east and central buttresses of 3
offsets. Bricked-up chamfered ogee doorway, Windows are similar to south side;
western clerestory window has ogee arch. Some renewed tracery. Tower of 3 low
stages with moulded string courses. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets have
crocheted giblets. North-east buttress has squint to nave. First stage has C18
stepped battering to west. Small basket arch west window set in recess. Second
stage has boarded-up slit lancet window and clock face. Third stage has
chamfered 2-light bell-chamber openings with simple reticulated tracery.
Embattled parapet. Octagonal spire has string course and 2 tiers of 2-light
lucarnes, the lower tier with ogee gables. North side has a lancet to the first
stage, Interior: chancel has cinquefoiled piscina. Eastern sepulchre recess has
moulded arch. Chancel and nave have partly C15 Perpendicular roofs with moulded
purlins and tie beams, and renewed rafters; chancel has renewed purlins, Chancel
arch of 2 segmental pointed orders without imposts. Tower arch of one stepped
End one chamfered order. Fittings: C18 fielded panelled pulpit. C18/early C19
Commandment board. C19 octagonal font. Stained glass: some medieval fragments.
Monuments: early C14 coffin lid in chancel has elaborate shallow relief carving
with effigy of a priest, attributes, 2 kneelinq acolytes, 2 angels and elaborate
canopy. Chancel: Reverend John Guest. Late Cl7 wall monument with columns and
angel.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp362-363; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV,
pp162-164)


Listing NGR: SK2791907468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.