This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3027 / 52°18'9"N
Longitude: -1.2448 / 1°14'41"W
OS Eastings: 451592
OS Northings: 267443
OS Grid: SP515674
Mapcode National: GBR 8RC.Q3F
Mapcode Global: VHCV4.CDS3
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308755
Location: Willoughby, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Willoughby
Built-Up Area: Willoughby
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Willoughby St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
WILLOUGHBY BROOKS CLOSE
SP56NW (South side)
7/110 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. Early C16. Tower dated 1536. Chancel rebuilt early C19. North aisle of
sandstone rubble; south aisle of coursed sandstone and limestone rubble with
some render. Tower and porch of limestone ashlar. Chancel of scored imitation
ashlar rendered brick. Concrete tile roofs, continuous from nave to aisles, have
coped parapets. Porches have coped gable parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, west
tower, north and south porches. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Perpendicular style.
3-light windows throughout. Chancel has ashlar plinth and moulded cornice.
Diagonal buttresses. Perpendicular style east window has hood mould with head
stops. Sill course continued around windowless north and south sides. North
aisle continues east of nave. Porch between second and third bays has moulded
round arch with hood mould and lozenge stops. C19 traceried panelled door in
simple chamfered surround. Windows, some restored, have hood moulds. No west
window. Shorter south aisle has porch with blocked doorway with late C20 window
inserted. East and 2 south windows have shallow arches and C19 panel tracery.
Blocked west window. Tower of 3 stages has moulded plinth. East angle buttresses
of 3 offsets. West diagonal buttresses of 5 offsets have gablets to first offset
dated 15 on left and 36 on right. Canted north-east stair turret. Large west
window has hood mould with ornamental lozenge stops. Cusped intersecting
tracery. Second stage is blank to west, but has trefoiled lancet to south. Third
stage has 2-light louvred bell openings with curvilinear tracery and hood mould
continued across wall. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet with panelled
corners. Interior is plastered. Chancel has cusped Perpendicular style roof.
Chamfered opening to north aisle. Chancel arch and 3-bay arcades have moulded
lozenge shaped piers and responds and 4-centred arches. Tower arch has inner
half-round shafts and half-octagon capitals, and 2 outer continuous moulded
orders. Nave and aisles have plastered ceilings. South aisle walls have shallow
chamfered 4-centred plaster arches. Fittings: Early English carved cauldron
font. C17 carved oak octagonal pulpit. Reading desk probably made from pulpit
door. Early C19 decorated Gothic style altar table. Simple Gothic reredos with
texts. Mid C19 altar rails, stalls and pews. Painted coat of arms of George III
on north aisle west wall. Wall monuments: north aisle: George Watson 1674.
Moulded shouldered and eared pedimented architrave. Inscription recut. Henry
Clerke 1687. Segmental pediment, moulded panel and Ionic pilasters, of stone and
slate. Consoles, swags and coat of arms below.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.263-264; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP5159267443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings