History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Compton Manor House and Attached Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Compton, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9705 / 51°58'13"N

Longitude: -1.6208 / 1°37'14"W

OS Eastings: 426145

OS Northings: 230296

OS Grid: SP261302

Mapcode National: GBR 5QY.K18

Mapcode Global: VHBZ0.VQHR

Entry Name: Little Compton Manor House and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 9 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116486

English Heritage Legacy ID: 305996

Location: Little Compton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, GL56

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Little Compton

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Little Compton, Chastleton, Cornwell, Little Rollright and Salford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Long Compton

Listing Text

LITTLE COMPTON
SP2830
14/61 Little Compton Manor House
02/09/52 and attached wall
(Formerly listed as Little
Compton Manor (Bishop Juxon's
House) with pigeoncote)

- II*

Manor house. Early C16 orgins, with remodelling of 1620; late C17, C18 and C20
alterations and additions. Squared coursed limestone to front and rear with
quoins and coped gables with moulded ball finials. Coursed rubble to west wing,
with part of first floor moulded string course. Stone-slate roofs with moulded
stone ridge, end, and projecting lateral stacks. Originally a U-shaped plan. 3
storeys plus attic; 5-window range of 2-, 3- and 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned
windows, possibly C20 restorations of original fenestration. All mullioned
windows have hood moulds and labels. C17 blocked windows, one with hood mould
and labels, in internal angle of east wing. C17 doorway to centre of ground
floor with heavily-moulded surround and moulded broken pediment with cartouche
of arms. Doorway perhaps restored C20. C17 panelled oak door with carved
semi-circular top panel. West wing of earlier origin, with buttress to centre
and to north-west. Further 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window,
and 2- and 3-light ovolo-moulded and plain-chamfered mullioned windows to first
and second floors. One full gabled dormer with 2-light mullioned window with
original leaded lights. Rear of west wing has further 2- and 3-light
ovolo-moulded and plain-chamfered mullioned windows, with blocked mullioned and
transomed window opening. 3 further blocked openings below. 4-centred arched
chamfered doorway leading to cellar, with chamfered light to immediate right.
East wing has further ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, those in gabled dormers
with transoms. Two C18 thirty-pane sashes with moulded surrounds to ground
floor, that to right perhaps in place of earlier mullioned and transomed window.
One 12-pane sash with moulded surround to first floor. The northern part of east
wing is early C16, and has a 3-light plain-chamfered mullioned and transomed
window to ground floor with a 2-light and single-light window, and C20
projection to first floor. 3-storey range projecting towards east has further
3-light mullioned windows, that to second floor hollow-chamfered. Rear of east
wing, and west-facing internal angle have further 3-light plain-chamfered
mullioned and transomed windows, some restored. One 3-light mullioned window
above original iron-sheeted door, with decorative iron hinge and lock. Lead
rain-water heads to south, east and west are inscribed in bas relief:
'O-/ANDO/1620' and have decorative features below. Large 3-storey stone range to
north was added 1927, and is in imitative style with mullioned and mullioned and
transomed windows. Extending south from south east corner of east wing a C18
wall with stone plinth and brick in Flemish garden wall bond above. The wall is
approximately 20 metres long and 3 metres high, and has a plank and muntin door
in moulded surround towards north. Interior: ground floor of C16 north-east
wing, formerly kitchen, has the original C16 roof with heavily-moulded spine
beams, crossed with smaller but identically-moulded beams and small
similarly-moulded joists. Ceiling has heavily-moulded wood cornice surround.
Large 4-centred arched stone fireplace with ogee and ovolo-moulded surround with
moulded stops. Stone-flagged floor. Restored C16/C17 plank door. C16 room above
(The Juxon Room) has late C16 moulded panelling with some original cock-head
hinges, 4-centre arched stone fireplace with moulded surround and panelled
over mantel. 1620 hall in central range has contemporary panelling rising to
ceiling on east wall, 4-centred arched stone fireplace with hollow and
ogee-moulded surround to west with C20 overmantel in Jacobean style. Stone
flagged floor. Room to east of central hall lined with late C16 moulded
panelling, with heavily carved pilasters and frieze with floral and foliage
decoration and lion heads. Simple small 4-centred arched fireplaces with
chamfered surrounds throughout house. History: once the home of William Juxon,
Archbishop of Canterbury.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.50-51; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.340-341).


Listing NGR: SP2614530296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.