This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2803 / 51°16'49"N
Longitude: 1.0776 / 1°4'39"E
OS Eastings: 614733
OS Northings: 157962
OS Grid: TR147579
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.P85
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.M2KV
Entry Name: Cockyns Hospital cogan House cogans Hospital
Listing Date: 3 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442979
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 ST PETER'S STREET
Nos 53 and 53A
TR 1457 NE 4/79A 3.5.67.
A complete list of the occupiers of this house exists back to the late C12.
It was originally called Cockyns Hospital after William Cockyn (d l203). This
was later changed to Cogans Hospital after John Cogan who occupied the house
from 1626-1657 and on his death founded a hospital there for the widows of
The front elevation is outwardly C19. 3 storeys red brick. Old tiled roof
in 2 hips. 4 cambered sashes. 2 bays on 1st floor. Ground floor has later
C19 shop front with marble risers and a triglyph and paterae frieze. Behind
this is an L-shaped mediaeval building of hall type with walls of flint, chalk
and stone 2 ft 3 ins thick. It is one of the few stone houses in Canterbury
to survive. The interior has been much altered but has a stone pointed doorway
in the hall and its original king-post in the attic. An addition was made on the
south side by John Bygg mercer and mayor of Canterbury, about 1473. This has
a heavily panelled and moulded ceiling of oak on tile ground floor, and carved
doorways an the 1st floor. The hall has parchemin panelling, probably erected
by John Bygg's widow, Constance, (d 1513), and carved frieze above it, put
up by John Thomas, hosier, in the early C16. Later in the C16, Ralph Baldwin added a panelled parlour with a plaster ceiling on the site of the courtyard
facing the street and a similar room above it. He also probably inserted
the staircase (of which the upper portion was altered in 1870). The house
remained a hospital for the widows of ministers from l668-1870. The building
was completely refronted in 1870.
Nos 49 to 60 (consec), Methodist Church and forecourt to Methodist Church
form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1473057959
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings