History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Estate House and Cedar End

A Grade II Listed Building in Wingerworth, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2021 / 53°12'7"N

Longitude: -1.4269 / 1°25'36"W

OS Eastings: 438376

OS Northings: 367373

OS Grid: SK383673

Mapcode National: GBR 69N.62K

Mapcode Global: WHDFH.1SS3

Entry Name: Estate House and Cedar End

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Last Amended: 30 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116678

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393549

Location: Wingerworth, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S42

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Wingerworth

Built-Up Area: Wingerworth

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Wingerworth All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Wingerworth

Listing Text

WINGERWORTH
SK36NE LONGEDGE LANE
1264-0/6/148 (South side (off))
31/01/67 Estate House and Cedar End
(Formerly Listed as:
WINGERWORTH PARK
Estate House, North Side, The
Hollies, The Yews, East View)
GV II
Part of country house, now flats. One of 2 surviving service
wings of Wingerworth Hall, which was completed in 1729 and
demolished 1924-7, and was possibly by Francis Smith of
Warwick. South facade of gritstone ashlar, with squared
coursed Coal Measures Sandstone with ashlar dressings used for
the sides and rear. Leaded roof behind parapet. 2 ashlar
chimney caps visible. The main part of the south facade is of
2 storeys and 7 bays, with chamfered quoins and with a plain
band below a parapet with coping. The windows are glazing bar
sashes in architraves with bracketed sills. The ground-floor
windows have round heads with keystones and impost blocks. The
central window on the ground floor was formerly a doorway and
has a rusticated surround. The present doorway, to its right,
was formerly a window: the sill has been lowered and external
stone steps added. Set back to the left is a lower 2-storey
2-bay wing in a similar style, said to be built in the 1920s
re-using C18 stonework. It has glazing bar sash windows, and
in its right-hand bay there is a partly glazed door within an
architrave. The east wall is of 3 bays and has mullioned and
transomed cross windows with architraves, except for the outer
bay on the ground floor where mullions and transoms have been
removed. The windows of the left-hand bay are blind. The north
wall has 2 bays at the left projecting forwards. To the right
are 4 bays with a doorway in their left-hand bay. The windows
have architraves. On the ground floor there are C20 casements,
but the 1st floor windows retain their mullions and transoms.
The door is of 6 raised and fielded panels with an overlight
and the architrave has a keystone.


Listing NGR: SK3837667373

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.