History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swineford Copper Mills Including Waterwheels and Machinery

A Grade II Listed Building in Bitton, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4189 / 51°25'8"N

Longitude: -2.4464 / 2°26'46"W

OS Eastings: 369057

OS Northings: 168975

OS Grid: ST690689

Mapcode National: GBR JX.PZ6V

Mapcode Global: VH88X.KL2L

Entry Name: Swineford Copper Mills Including Waterwheels and Machinery

Listing Date: 4 September 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28487

Location: Bitton, South Gloucestershire, BS30

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Bitton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Warmley Syston and Bitton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bitton

Listing Text


1.
5118 BITTON BATH ROAD
(south side)
Swineford
Swineford Copper Mills
including waterwheels
and machinery
ST 66 NE 6/100 4.9.74
II
2.
Important industrial complex. Copper Mills founded by John Freeman and
Co and dated 1840. Converted to a flock mill in 1860s. The foundation
of the Copper Mill is C18 and some remains may date from before 1840.
There are 2 main blocks, their purpose is now difficult to ascertain as
they have been used for a number of processes during their history.
Main block: Early C19 in appearance, but dated 1840. Coursed rubble with
dressed quoins and ashlar parapet. River front has 2 storeys, 3 windows,
glazing bar casements in elliptical heads with brick dressings. Large
blocked doors on each floor to right. Hipped pantile roof. Probably earlier
( late C18) wing adjoins to rear. Two storeys, 3 windows, on ground floor
moulded mid-C19 long mullion windows with cornices (altered). Pantiled
roof with brick stacks.
Secondary block: Plaque inscribed "Swineford Copper Mills J F and Co MDCCCXL".
Coursed rubble with brick dressings. Single storey. Various openings.
Pantile roof. Five gabled extensions to rear 3 with cut finial saddlestones,
one hipped. The machinery includes 2 probably original waterwheels and
shafting from the flock mill. Two ashlar projection to left of front for
the watercourses.
Mill owners cottage and small outbuilding to south not included.


Listing NGR: ST6905768975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.