History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beach Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bitton, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.434 / 51°26'2"N

Longitude: -2.4109 / 2°24'39"W

OS Eastings: 371530

OS Northings: 170636

OS Grid: ST715706

Mapcode National: GBR JZ.NVN1

Mapcode Global: VH96D.5790

Entry Name: Beach Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 July 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116762

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28489

Location: Bitton, South Gloucestershire, BS30

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Bitton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Warmley Syston and Bitton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Wick

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/11/2012


ST 77 SW 5/25
5118


BITTON
BEACH
Beach Farmhouse


II


It is said to be after 1643, 'L'-plan, though probably late C17/early
C18. Rendered over rubble, stone quoins. Modern pantile roof, end gables
with copings, tall ashlar stacks with caps. Two dormer gables with saddle
stones to front. Two and a half storeys, 3 windows, 2 and 3-light stone
mullioned casements with dripmoulds. Central door opening with plain
door in wooden frame. It is probable that this typical symmetrical late
C17 elevation is a C19 restoration of something very similar. Long gabled
extension wing to rear with square stack and 2-light stone mullioned windows
with dripmoulds. A shorter one bay two and a half storey extension runs
parallel.
Interior: one original stop chamfer door surround in rear extension,
4 bay roof to main section, end trusses formed by collars supported on
dormer walls.
The house occupies the site of and possibly incorporates
part of the farm burnt on this site at the Battle of Lansdown 1643.


Listing NGR: ST7153070636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.