History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange, Gates and Gate Piers at the South East Corner of the Grange

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bitton, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4219 / 51°25'18"N

Longitude: -2.4589 / 2°27'32"W

OS Eastings: 368187

OS Northings: 169312

OS Grid: ST681693

Mapcode National: GBR JX.PN5X

Mapcode Global: VH88X.BJF9

Entry Name: The Grange, Gates and Gate Piers at the South East Corner of the Grange

Listing Date: 11 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28557

Location: Bitton, South Gloucestershire, BS30

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Bitton

Built-Up Area: Bitton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Warmley Syston and Bitton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bitton

Listing Text


1.
5118 BITTON CHURCH ROAD
(east side)
The Grange,
gates and gate piers at the
south-east corner of
ST 6869 15/3 11.5.53 The Grange
II* GV
2.
Of C12 origins, converted in later middle ages to hall house and thoroughly
remodelled and rebuilt in C17 and C18. John Wood, the Bath architect lodged
here. Ground plan suggests a converted hall house, one wing completely rebuilt
in C18 limestone rubble with slate roofs. Three ashlar chimneys with moulded
capping. Consists of 3 storey, 3 bay centre block, gabled projecting 2 window
wing to right, mid-C18 2 storey 2 bay ashlar-built wing slightly set back to
left with hipped slate roof. Cornice and parapet to left hand wing. Off-set
buttress to left of entrance. Central block has glazing bar sash windows,
brick reveals to first floor, bolection architraves, moulded cills, cornices
and relieving arches to ground floor. Small single light and C17 or early
C18 to left on ground floor. Doorway inserted to right with above a plaster
panel depicting a bird (the crest of the Seymours who held the Grange from
the Reformation till 1770). Sashes in bolection architraves to right hand
wing, moulded coping to gable, relieving arches over windows, blind square
panel in gable with bolection architrave and cornice. Central square headed
door opening with pediment replacing a window. Sashes in plain architraves
to left hand wing, cambered head door opening with keystone to right with bracketted
open pediment and date T N 1761 on one of the jambs. Return to east has stepped
chimney, wall has been lined to left with extra masonry skin. Gate piers and
gates linking south-east corner with boundary of the Dower House. Interior:
The ground floor room to east is panelled (formerly 2 rooms) and dates from
mid C18 (when John Wood II was lessee). Three doorways in west internal wall,
one of them with Tudor arch head said to represent screens exits.
The staircase which is in the former stair-turret appears to be a pashche.


Listing NGR: ST6818769312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.