History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St George

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hanham Abbots, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4304 / 51°25'49"N

Longitude: -2.5053 / 2°30'19"W

OS Eastings: 364968

OS Northings: 170275

OS Grid: ST649702

Mapcode National: GBR CXV.42

Mapcode Global: VH88W.J9FT

Entry Name: Parish Church of St George

Listing Date: 11 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116822

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28681

Location: Hanham Abbots, South Gloucestershire, BS15

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Hanham Abbots

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hanham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Keynsham

Listing Text


1.
5118 HANHAM ABBOTS COURT FARM ROAD
Hanham Green
Parish Church of
St George
ST 67 SW 3/79 11.5.53
II*
2.
C14 with earlier fragments and C15 West Tower (attached to Hanham Court).
Restored 1854 by Pope, Poindon and Clarke; 1909, extensively, by Bligh Bond.
Pennant stone rubble with freestone dressings. Tile roof with bands of
fishscale tiles. Three bay nave, 2 bay chancel, south aisle, north porch,
west tower of 3 stages, pierced parapet, pinnacles and corner gargoyles.
Perpendicular bell-chamber windows of 2-lights with foiled heads. Nave,
chancel and aisle windows mostly restored in Perpendicular style. Porch
has C14 arch, original roof and C14 enrichments to doorway (crocketted arch
with finials and niche).
Interior: main features are Norman font and good C13 pillar piscina both
thought to come from Keynsham Abbey; plastered waggon roof in aisle, the
east end of which may have been a Lady Chapel (see Verey/Pevsner: "Buildings
of Englands, Gloucestershire - The Vale").


Listing NGR: ST6493670269

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.