This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3744 / 51°22'27"N
Longitude: -0.9986 / 0°59'54"W
OS Eastings: 469797
OS Northings: 164397
OS Grid: SU697643
Mapcode National: GBR B58.SDX
Mapcode Global: VHDX5.MQY9
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39982
Location: Beech Hill, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Beech Hill
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Beech Hill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 66 SE BEECH HILL BEECH HILL ROAD
(north west side)
Church of St Mary
14.4.67 the Virgin
Parish Church. 1867 by William Butterfield. Chequered brick and flint,
brick and stone bands and dressings; old tile roof with decorative ridge
tiles and stone coped gable on east end. Nave, chancel, bell turret rises
from west gable on projecting brick and flint panel, with 4 stone corbel
blocks and square 3 stage buttress below in gable centre. The turret is
tile-hung at lower stage and clad in cedar shingles above at belfry level
with 2-light wooden openings with louvres, and pyramidal shingle roof.
North front: brick and stone plinth at east end, 3 buttresses, the one
in the centre is lower; moulded string at cill level carried round buttresses;
toothed brick eaves. 4 bays: 2-light windows with stone trefoil heads and
plate tracery. Porch at left end with 2 small angled buttresses; timber
framed entry screen with carved bargeboards, 2 wall seats and 4-light
diamond leaded wood windows with pointed heads on each side with quatrefoil
lights over. Interior: Red brick with white brick patterning. 4-bay
arcade with stone dressings and square brick piers slightly chamfered.
Carved wood tripartite screen to chancel; polychromatic brick and ceramic
tiles on walls and floor of chancel with stone string carried over reredos
and stepped up to form a pediment. Stone credence on north wall, piscina
in vestry. Marble font with colonnaded front. Stained glass by Gibbs
except the north east window in the aisle which is by Kempe, 1896.
B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.84.
Listing NGR: SU6979764397
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings