History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dreweatts Bridge and Lock at Su 411673

A Grade II Listed Building in Hampstead Marshall, West Berkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4028 / 51°24'10"N

Longitude: -1.4113 / 1°24'40"W

OS Eastings: 441049

OS Northings: 167250

OS Grid: SU410672

Mapcode National: GBR 70B.XPW

Mapcode Global: VHC1V.HZ8Z

Entry Name: Dreweatts Bridge and Lock at Su 411673

Listing Date: 6 December 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117230

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39805

Location: Hampstead Marshall, West Berkshire, RG20

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Hampstead Marshall

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Hamstead Marshall

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kintbury

Listing Text

The following structure shall be added to the list:

SU 46 NW HAMSTEAD MARSHALL KENNET & AVON CANAL
15/26 Dreweatts Bridge and
GV lock at SU 411673
II

Accommodation bridge and integral lock. Late C18, C20 alterations. Rennie's
standard design. Brick bridge with single elliptical arch, band, solid parapet and
piers, with brick, stone and cement coping. Integral brick lock walls to W. Lock
has brick chamber with brick and stone coping. Stone quoins to gate recesses. 2
sets of double wooden gates; top gates with mechanical ground paddle gearing, bottom
gates with hydraulic gate paddle gearing. 2, early C20, GWR weight restriction
signs, 1 at NE corner, 1 at SW corner of bridge. Cast-iron, lozenge-shaped signs
with raised lettering, mounted on iron stanchions. The Kennet & Avon Canal was
constructed between 1794-1810. John Rennie was principal engineer.


Listing NGR: SU4110067300

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.